ACN Latitudes Forums

Seasonal Allergies

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on/posted on this forum.

I've been reading up on seasonal allergies/pans symptoms because my ds8 has been going through a flare for the past week (tics). He has no sign of infection right now so I was wondering if it might be related to seasonal allergies (but no typical allergy symptoms either). I've been giving him 250mg a day of quercetin for 3 days but today his tics seem worse and it's raining so I thought he might be doing better today but that's not the case. Wondering what type of allergy testing is best. He is a bit congested and has a mild cough (usually in the morning) and this has been off and on for a year now. I have severe seasonal allergies (which is part of the reason I suspect he may have them), and last year his tics were bad all summer (I suspected seasonal allergies then too). I suppose it wouldn't hurt to also try an otc anti histamine?

Any advice is appreciated.

I also want to add that ds is not on any abx at the moment. He was on prophylactic azithromycin 250mg every 3 days but it was also making his tics worse, and he can not tolerate probiotics so I took him off abx for a while; since the end of March. I have 20 day rx for augmentin and am itching to fill it, but a little stumped right now.

My daughter was flaring up too, including tics, with no typical allergy symptoms. Her pediatrician thought the seasonal allergies might be the cause, so he recommended Zyrtec. She has been on it for 2 weeks now, and she keeps getting better and better. I started with 5mg but slowly upped it to the full 10 mg. Also, try googling "seasonal allergies pandas" When I did that it came up with some old postings from this site that may be helpful.

Seasonal allergies could definately cause a flare. Seen it with my ds every spring and fall. Over the past 3 years what has helped him is looking into foods and allergies with that but mainly his sensitivities to foods. I shouldn't say allergy bc that is something you need to stay away from with him it's more sensitivity. Their are certain foods he needs to stay away from or limit during allergy season because they make outdoor allergies worse. For exame ds does not drink milk but has cheese. During certain seasons we have to limit it. Another good example is that ds is sensitive to tomatoes. He does okay with tomato paste or sauce in meals and the started eating actual tomatoes and his lips flared this spring. We cut them out and they got better within days and no problem since. A lot of children have food sensitivities thag could make things worse. My son has all outdoor allergies and has been doing great here in Chicago when everyone is suffering. He does not take any allery meds and DS was horrible years ago.

What dosage of Pepcid are you using?

During allergy season, we go with the "maximum strength," 20 mg., twice daily (morning and night). The rest of the year, we can usually successfully go with regular strength (10 mg.).