ACN Latitudes Forums

Which well known doctor/best for what? Spinoff from last post...

To my knowledge, there is no "Pandas gene" - I suppose Dr T may have zeroed in on some genes he's seen frequently occur among his patients, but I know of no research that has identified one or even many genes that play a role in Pandas. Heck, after almost 20 years, we can't even "prove" Pandas exists, let alone be able to declare with any confidence that certain gene(s) are the cause. I would bet that if you polled all of us who've done 23andMe, more than 90% will have at least a COMT or MAO snp mutation - these are two genes that control the rate that serotonin and dopamine are degraded/used. But that hardly means these genes cause Pandas. The are implicit in many disorders involving neurotransmitters. Sorry, he says something like this and I lose a lot of respect. (Sorry D's Mom - I mean no disrespect to you and certainly don't want to make you feel like I'm attacking you - his comment just gets my undies in a bunch).

Very informative post. Thanks.

Dr. T found me positive for Coxsackie A and B and is treating me for it with antiviral. Most doctors have never heard of enteroviruses. We are going to do some genetic testing as well.

He also seems to know quite a bit about depression and CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) which I have.

Ophelia22, on 10 May 2013 - 19:20, said:

Very informative post. Thanks.

Dr. T found me positive for Coxsackie A and B and is treating me for it with antiviral. Most doctors have never heard of enteroviruses. We are going to do some genetic testing as well.

He also seems to know quite a bit about depression and CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) which I have.

Glad you are finding some answers.

LLM,

Interestingly, my kid has COMT and MaoA as part of her equation, too. We had ours done thru Yasko. I have to go back thru my copious notes, but I think I recall something about the BHMT 1 as having something to do with the body's ability to clear infection, as well. I am working through the doc list and finding long waits for appointments. It is getting harder to deal with this as my daughter gets older and more independent about what she will and will not do and feeling like she's just 'mental'. QueenMother