ACN Latitudes Forums

Seasonal Allergies - Ideas?

Hi there,

My PANDAS/PANS dd seems to be having allergies right now - stuffy nose, sinus pain etc. Any thoughts on OTC treatments that won't send her ocd into the stratosphere, or otherwise negatively impact an autoimmune disorder?

Tx,

Heather

We have had such spectacular success -- especially this season -- with quercitin and Pepcid! Every season before this one, DS has suffered so badly, with tree pollen and mold being his biggest nemises, though, frankly, he's allergic year 'round to dust, cats, etc. as well.

Anyway, this year, not only has he more or less breezed through the first part of the season, we've actually had our windows open in the nice weather for the first time in 3 years! We used to keep it shut up and run all of our air through our HVAC system's hepa filters, just to help him with his sneezing, stuffy nose, red eyes, and congested sleeping. But thus far this year (knock on wood), we haven't had to do that! And he's digging the fresh air!

We have had such spectacular success -- especially this season -- with quercitin and Pepcid! Every season before this one, DS has suffered so badly, with tree pollen and mold being his biggest nemises, though, frankly, he's allergic year 'round to dust, cats, etc. as well.

Anyway, this year, not only has he more or less breezed through the first part of the season, we've actually had our windows open in the nice weather for the first time in 3 years! We used to keep it shut up and run all of our air through our HVAC system's hepa filters, just to help him with his sneezing, stuffy nose, red eyes, and congested sleeping. But thus far this year (knock on wood), we haven't had to do that! And he's digging the fresh air!

Interesting. What does the Pepcid have to do with allergies?

Interesting. What does the Pepcid have to do with allergies?

Pepcid is an H1 blocker, so it prevents histamine from being taken up in the gut. DS is generally high in histamine, so the Pepcid has helped control everything from the seasonal allergies to his eczema.

Actually, Pepcid is an H2 blocker, as is Zantac (and the traditional "allergy medicine" antihistamines are the H1s). But Nancy's explanation is otherwise spot on-- basically, the H2 receptor antagonists block the body's histamine producer in the gut. Some allergy sufferers get better relief with meds targeting both histamine producers. My ds had to take it when his hives were not controlled with just the H1 and it worked very well for him. My dd, who's been in a flare this spring and has severe allergies, just started taking Zantac and we're already seeing improvement.

I think-- someone help me out here b/c it's my next area of research-- there may be a glutamate connection, as well?

Dag, all you women are smart! Thanks for all this good info. Our LLNP came back with a reply to give Claritin D, which I tried today and had no effect at all. I'm thinking I made the wrong call and dd has a cold/flu after all. Heather

Actually, Pepcid is an H2 blocker, as is Zantac (and the traditional "allergy medicine" antihistamines are the H1s). But Nancy's explanation is otherwise spot on-- basically, the H2 receptor antagonists block the body's histamine producer in the gut. Some allergy sufferers get better relief with meds targeting both histamine producers. My ds had to take it when his hives were not controlled with just the H1 and it worked very well for him. My dd, who's been in a flare this spring and has severe allergies, just started taking Zantac and we're already seeing improvement.

I think-- someone help me out here b/c it's my next area of research-- there may be a glutamate connection, as well?

Ah, yes! Sorry . . . H2! I get those mixed up too frequently. <_< Thanks, thenmama!

I have not heard of a glutamate connection and antihistamines, but I'd be very interested if your research turns up anything! Especially as we've found glutamate modulation to also be very helpful with respect to DS's health and progress.

Thanks again!

Well shoot, Nancy-- I was hoping you were going to chime in with the thing about glutamate ;) Can't remember where I'd seen that connection drawn and it's driving me mad! For all I know it could have been bunk. If I ever do remember what it was or find it, I'll let you know.

Regardless of mechanism, I'm so glad for the gains we're seeing since dd started on the H2 blocker!