ACN Latitudes Forums

What does remission look like for your child - instant or gradual?

My son is 3.5 years old has had maybe 4-5 PANS relapses and as many remissions. What are remission and relapses like for your child? It seems like ours are almost instantaenous - like a light switch being flipped. For instance one time when a relapse had been going on for weeks he was raging over his bath toys getting wet - he wanted to play with them in the bath but dry each one off after it got wet. Literally 20 minutes later he was noticeably different, and the next night (and from then on) he had no problem with his toys getting wet. That is just an example of so many scenarios - he will go from bad language (one of his OCD's or tics) to suddenly saying please and thank you and being back to his polite sweet self. From yelling at his baby brother and wanting nothing to do with him to singing songs to him and smiling at him and being the sweetest big brother. Stuff that makes me raise my eyebrows in disbelief how fast it changed. The tics usually linger on, but his personality change is fast and drastic.

It is the same way with relapses - he'll be my sweet typical boy and then out of the blue ask one of his strange sentences or have that look in his eye or start saying bad words and I know its not him anymore. What does remission look like for your child - instant or gradual?

I am not sure if what you are describing is a remission, TinyTreasures. Are you saying that the wet/dry raging episode ended and then for a while, like days or weeks, you did not see any other episode?

With us, it changes by hour. He can be nice an sweet and then turn awful and back several times a day. the same with dd.