ACN Latitudes Forums

Zithromax- Long Term Use of Antibiotics

Hello....Quick question for everyone regarding my son starting prophylatic Zithromax. We saw a pediatric immuniologist today that treats pans (my son is a text book case). Right now he is not in a flare and about 90% back to normal but the doctor wanted to put him on 3 days on/ 4 days off dosing schedule for the next 3 months to try and stabilize his immune system. Then a break and possibly start again in October. I am terrified to keep him on antibiotics that long and need some advise. The thought of him having a bad exaberation again scares me but so does the overuse of antibiotics.

Did anyone have any issues with taking anitbitoics for 3 months straight? If this a standard protocol for PANS? He reacts to any illness along with allergies. The doctor thought his immune system is overreactive and he has a lot of inflammation.

Any advise would be great!

As long as you keep probiotics, kefir and/or yogurt in him (2-3 hours apart from the antibiotics), he should be fine. My daughter has had to be on antibiotics daily for the last 15 months. Many children must be on long term abx for medical conditions such as rheumatic fever. Some multiplesclerosis patients are on abx for years. Some teens have been on abx for years on end for acne. I am not saying there are no issues with long term abx, but this is not the only condition treated in this manner.

Edited by Mayzoo

My oldest PANDAS son was on antibiotics for 6 years. It was necessary to keep symptoms stable. As he got older it became evident that his PANDAS symptoms were few and far between. So when he turned 17 we took the leap and stoped the antibiotics. We have always been deligint about probotics and anti-yeast products. My daughter has currently been on antibiotics for 2 years. She will probably be on them for a while since we are fighting lyme. As long as you use your probiotics correctly, I wouldn't worry. I would be more concerned about having PANDAS symptoms return and cause havoc which can happen in the blink of an eye.

Dedee

Our daughter has been on azithromycin for several years. She was initially on 250 mg every other day. This every other day dose started 2 years ago and lasted for the duration of a year. However, she had elevated mycoplasma titers that were not responding to this dose last April. Therefore, In May of last year, her dose was upped to 250 mg of azithromycin daily and she continues to take that dose as we monitor blood work and watch her titers gradually decrease. She also had additional testing a year ago on neurotransmitters and other minerals. A few over supplies and deficiencies were found so we have also been supplementing those. With a combination of supplements and azith, we have seen remarkable improvement. She managed to have a break through case of strep in March of this year and stopped the azith for 10 days and switched to augmentin, and even with that, her exacerbation of PANDAS symptoms was not awful and only lasted for a few days before she was back at base line. After augmentin was completed, she returned to her daily azith dose. She takes the azith at night after dinner and takes a Theralac probiotic every morning and we have seen no adverse side effects whatsoever. Rheumatic fever patients are on antibiotics to manage their condition until some time between the ages of 18 and 21. PANDAS is very similar except instead of affecting the heart, it affects the brain.