ACN Latitudes Forums

Methylation for Dummies

LNN

A friend who knows my passion for methylation sent me this link http://autismnti.com/images/Website-_Yasko_Education.pdf that seems pretty helpful in simplifying a complex topic. It does a pretty good job of explaining why it's so essential to the immune system and for proper functioning of neurotransmitters. It's 18 pages long, so I can't post - but it has some good, easy to understand diagrams and ties a lot of complicated ideas together in simple terms. Here's an excerpt to give you a flavor and encourage you to click on the link:

#9 BH4 (Tetrahydobiopterin), or “
The Better Health 4 Life Industry”
BH4 (Tetrahydrobiopterin) Cycle —“
Better Health 4 Life Industries” Though controversy exists regarding this cycle’s function, Dr. Yasko’s theory indicates that The Big Motherflipper (MTHFR A1298C)may drive this cycle in the reverse direction and several independent studies support this finding. This leads to a chemical exchange among BH2 to BH4, a multi-purpose product that is used in both the Waste Facility (urea cycle) and BH4 Industry. Within the Better Health 4 Life Industry, BH4 produces chemicals known as neurotransmitters, or neurotalkers (NTs), including Dopamine, Serotonin, Melatonin,Norepinephrine, and Epinephrine. NTs are central for the communication between nerves and cells as well as stabilizing the crisis response mood and sleep cycles. Chronically low BH4 levels increase the risk for ADD/ADHD, bipolar disorder, OCD, insomnia, depression, anxiety, and many other quality of life issues. Think of this company as AT&T with a philanthropic twist since it donates BH4 to the Waste Facility for environmental clean up as well as supporting the community in health & wellbeing.
The Waste Facility uses BH4 to clean up toxic ammonia and generate nitric oxide, an element that keeps blood vessels open and free of plaque. Yet if BH4 is scarce, it cannot clean up waste or deliver vital nutrients to the Power Plant
It's a quick read and worth bookmarking for reference.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this. I've known for a long time we need to revisit methylation. DS had full testing done with Yasko about 6 years ago (before PANS hit). We found the protocol recommended by our doctor - TONS of supplements - overwhelming and expensive (and we didn't see any behavioral or health changes), and didn't do it for long. It sounds like some parents here are helping their kids without too many added supplements, so I want to try this again. I need to try to understand this myself, but have been struggling with brain fog. This looks like a good place to start!

Great, and thanks! I know we have an single A1298C mutation and I will have the 23andme results in probably 6 more weeks.

Now, when you find the URL for genetics 101 for dummies (ie "complete" understanding 23andme test results) please let me know LOL :D !!!

MAyzoo - this is kinda funny because I'm actually reading "Genetics for Dummies"! So , there is a dummies book for everything (it isn't bad)!

I ordered the 23 and me for our whole family (20% off promotion on additional kits - while supplies last folks!). And wanted to get a head start on the genetic vocabulary before I send it in.

Off to read LLM's link...DS can't see to tolerate too much methyfolate. He's compound heterozygous ...and I'm still trying to figure this out! I wish I could say, but I'm not sure the methylfolate is making much difference, but then again, I'm not giving him too much at the moment...

Its so hard to tell how much to give with pandas kids - the marker for having too much is feeling irritable - he's irritable a lot from just having pandas. I hate to attribute stuff to the methyfolate, but I figure better safe than sorry, so backed off for a while and working on it again.

I have no idea if this helps because the links have all this stuff I've not see before so I did a look up.

Methylation Made Easy Part 1 of 4

Methylation Made Easy Part 2 of 4

Methylation Made Easy Part 3 of 4

Methylation Made Easy Part 4 of 4

Additional Link

http://metabolichealing.com/key-integrated-functions-of-your-body/mthfr-genetics-and-methylation/mental-illness-or-methylation-mutation/

MAyzoo - this is kinda funny because I'm actually reading "Genetics for Dummies"! So , there is a dummies book for everything (it isn't bad)!

I ordered the 23 and me for our whole family (20% off promotion on additional kits - while supplies last folks!). And wanted to get a head start on the genetic vocabulary before I send it in.

Off to read LLM's link...DS can't see to tolerate too much methyfolate. He's compound heterozygous ...and I'm still trying to figure this out! I wish I could say, but I'm not sure the methylfolate is making much difference, but then again, I'm not giving him too much at the moment...

Its so hard to tell how much to give with pandas kids - the marker for having too much is feeling irritable - he's irritable a lot from just having pandas. I hate to attribute stuff to the methyfolate, but I figure better safe than sorry, so backed off for a while and working on it again.

That is funny. Is the book helping you understand the 23andme results any? If so, I will be getting it soon as kiddos results should be in in around 6 weeks.

I just got the 23 and me kit - haven't even spit yet. I'm not sure if it will be helpful, but from what I saw as the example page of 23 and me results on the site - you don't need any of the information found in it. I just wanted a deeper understanding. It's vocabulary, history of discovery, etc. It is interesting read, to me, but I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't interested in a deeper understanding of the science behind it. It's set up for a student taking a course on genetics- like a study guide. If you are interested in that - its great! I don't have any background in biology, but I can still understand it. I didn't even take it in High School, so it really is written for Dummies!

I have no idea if this helps because the links have all this stuff I've not see before so I did a look up.

Methylation Made Easy Part 1 of 4

Methylation Made Easy Part 2 of 4

Methylation Made Easy Part 3 of 4

Methylation Made Easy Part 4 of 4

Additional Link

http://metabolichealing.com/key-integrated-functions-of-your-body/mthfr-genetics-and-methylation/mental-illness-or-methylation-mutation/

Thanks. I can't read read much b/c of my condition so the videos will be really helpful to get an understanding.