ACN Latitudes Forums

vocal tics that are "Messy"

I notice that a lot of people or their kids have 1 vocal or a couple that they have for quite a long peried, ie a cough or grunt that sticks around for a year or more.

What about vocasl that are just all over the place and not consistent and have no pattern at all, Is this common? Apart from my sons "Ah" vocal that still pops up every now and then his vocals are very messy, Lots of different sounds or words that just come out. Can be anything from 'ssss' to 'No' to 'Ohhhh' plus a heap more. They have been very present this weekend just passed :/

Vocal tics can be hard to diognois. Dd has more of these then ds ever had. She repeats things and does make noises that she repeats. She is I am able to control it and so is she meaning that it could not look as noticable . We are probably lucky but she will make sounds here and there or repeat something or make a loud scream but it is very limited which is what I thank god for. So far she doesn't have the full blown eye tic or licking tick of any any type of tic that causes lots of pain and stress in ds.. She does this screaming tic during homework and has said that eating and sucking on a bannana or something helps her through it . What I have realized is that she feels like screaming threw this homework if she does not have some stimulation by eating a bannana or orange. This is nothing excessive she does it and gets through with it. At this age I never seen this at ds. This is crazy to say but she seems more controlled. Big she is young and we will see what happens.

Mar

Our dd has a few vocal tics that can be quite loud at times. I understand what you mean when you say messy tics, however they are more to do with her speech. She tends to stumble over, mix up or stutter certain words, it frustrates her and 9 times out of 10 she just gives up. She also likes to pop in a repetative word every now and again.

I have been giving her chewing gum, when appropriate, as it gives her something to focus on and her mouth something to do. Her OT also said that this is a good calming method. Might be worth a try:)

I want to mention that it's also not about the gum. It might help for the moment but if you haven't already look into foods. Dd and ds are dye free and preservative free and are both on diets bc of food sensitivities or allergies. I have witnessed connections with foods or sugars that have set them off. I just want to say gum alone will not help ag least in my case. Cleaning out diet and all the bad things and gum helps out tension and stress. I am not sure how old your child is and what else he is experiencing but you need to get down to the real issue. I Am only saying this bc when ds was 7 and people would suggesting give him gum for mouth tics and lips and it would help with stress that did not solve anything. Look into the diet. let me know if you have any questions.

Mar

Mar

Thanks Mar

My son will be 7 this year, Since vocals started in January and i started researching and the possibility of tourettes came up i began to introduce a gluten free diet, dairy free, colour and preservative free, sugar free etc so am doing all that which has helped immensly with his eating as he had always been sooooo fussy and only craved carbs and sugar, I really believe because of the changes this is why his motor tics are very mild. Just the vocals that are still hanging around.

Also am trying to get as many tests done as i can into allergy, blood tests etc but i'm doing it all on my own at this point and through research on here. No one in our area is very knowledgable and we have no holistic or integrated doctors near us.

His vocals have come right down i don't know if its natural waning or if it has something to do with starting candaplex nearly a week ago to deal with his candida/leaky gut. Thanks for all the advice i really truely appreciate it

Good for you! You are definately on the right track. Stick with this site you will find great info. My son at the age of seven was told to take allergy meds everyday bc of all outdoor allergies and told that he was prone to developing ashma. After testing food and showing the diet route he has not taken allery meds in three years no ashma and tics have gotten better. They will wax and wan depending if he gets sick or gets stressed but definately not as bad as before. We keep allergies/ sensitivities at bay during allergy months so he does not get congested and that helps a lot. I truely beleive he had leaky gut. We took out all sugar and we limit it greatly at home. Keep up the good work!

Mar