ACN Latitudes Forums

Rogers Memorial Hospital

USF sounds great, but after talking with Dt.Storch It is clear that my DS is not at a point where a USF program would be enough.

Hopefully meds will help him get better and Tampa will be an option, but right now we are very far from that : (

T.Anna

Dr. Storch actually recommended Rogers for one of my sons who has an eating disorder. He thinks highly of it's program especially for children who have OCD issues that involve eating or who have eating disorders related to their PANDAS / PANS. We have worked with USF and Dr. Storch with two of our other children and I value his opinion. Also, one of my daughters therapist from USF ended up going to Rogers to work after leaving USF. She was awesome. That is all the information I have. Also I can testify that the program at USF is first rate. Where ever you decide to go, it's a great idea to add CBT / ERP to your treatment plan. Best of luck.

Dedee

Edited by Dedee

We have experience with both and both are excellent programs. My ds10 attended Rogers for sudden onset OCD including eating issues. At Rogers there is no escaping therapy, exposures are not an option. They eat, sleep and breathe therapy. They have an excellent CBT/ERP intensive treatment program and work closely both individually and in group. They are excellent at providing antibiotics and medication, and following your wishes. In fact it is there that we finally received high dose augmentin which was life changing for my son. Dr. Ekin is excellent. I cannot say my son enjoyed it since it is hard work, but he seemed in ok spirits when we visited every other week and we found fun things to do on weekends. The downside is that your child is exposed to everyone elses problems, but they are taught that these are specific to that individual and are to remain confidential. He seemed to compartmentalize his ocd from others. My fear was that he would take on other peoples ocd and rituals but I don't believe that happened. I will definately consider it again.

We recently attended USF (almost one year later than Rogers) due to relapse from a second severe Pandas Flare. Unfortunately we were in a flare during attendance so he gave a lot of pushback to his therapist but it also is a phenomenal program. If you are not trained in ERP you will learn it here and be able to help your child moving forward. At Rogers you as parents receive a bit less training in ERP but you may already be familiar with it.

Pandasphilly,

When your son went to Rogers, was he a willing participant or did he only go because you made him? I have a son who still has some residual eating issues but he is in complete denial. Dr. Storch recommended Rogers inpatient for him. Only problem is we are worried that my son would not participate and may even potentially run away if forced into the program. This is his only remaining PANDAS symptom but it still affects his social life. My son says it isn't a problem (thus the denial), but clearly it affects his self esteem and relationships with friends. I doubt we will ever force him to go since he is 17 and close to being 18. I just wish he could overcome this in some way. I have tried bribery, but that didn't work either. Stubborn kid wouldn't even do it for a car. How's that for denial.

Dedee

• 2 months later...

We are considering transferring my daughter to Rogers very soon. She has anorexia due to Pans. We will be paying out of pocket so we want to be sure it's worth it. We are coming from a hospital who took her off all antibiotics and will only treat with psych meds. Any input about Rogers is appreciated.