ACN Latitudes Forums

We need to get insurance for my daughter and want to choose one that covers IVIG, and the genetic testing that Dr. T is not offering that tells so much more. Also any ideas about a group she could join for lower rates? No idea how we'll pay for it.

Nancy

My state allows kiddos with special needs (see all her conditions in my siggie, not just PANS) to be charged up to 6 times the premium a healthy child will be charged. For example: If we got a family plan, hubby, daughter and I, and it was $550.00 a month with 150.00 being our daughter's part, then they would take the 150.00 and multiply it by 6 and reach 900.00. Then add hubby and my part of 400.00 and our premium becomes 1300.00 for the three of us.

Call almost any insurance company, and see if your child will be considered high risk or not given her diagnoses. Then, ask how your state handles high risk premiums, if she is considered so. We just shopped around for insurance this month, in the state of Texas, and we found Humana to be the cheapest, but I do not know if they cover IVIG or genetic testing.

If your kiddo is considered high risk, check with your state and see if you have any kind of state sponsored insurance (not based on finances). Ours is called the Texas Risk Pool. It is designed for people who cannot otherwise qualify for insurance based on their conditions. This is who our daughter is covered through and it is currently $450.00 a month (hubby and I have opted out of insurance for now) verses the 900.00 we would have to pay for her part of an individual family policy.

Edited by Mayzoo

Another insurance option:

There is an insurance plan we are looking into that covers medical expenses that are not covered by your insurance (IVIG, doctors who don't accept insurance). I have asked my broker to look into it. It can be as low as $1000/month and covers anything "medical" ($100,000 benefits a year per family and it is tax deductible)...so according to my broker that would include IVigs. Have to ask him what it is called on Monday.

T.Anna

Another insurance option:

There is an insurance plan we are looking into that covers medical expenses that are not covered by your insurance (IVIG, doctors who don't accept insurance). I have asked my broker to look into it. It can be as low as $1000/month and covers anything "medical" ($100,000 benefits a year per family and it is tax deductible)...so according to my broker that would include IVigs. Have to ask him what it is called on Monday.

T.Anna

$100,000 per year for the entire family, when considering IVIG is not very much. If it's $100K per year for the FAMILY, I would make sure of how much they would cover for a SINGLE person. And, does the $1000 per month cost for the entire family or just per person? That's $12K per year. And, one more thing I've found throught the years...when they say "as low as", I would certainly be looking critically at that, because that's usually for people who don't have a lot of expenses...i.e. not high risk. I'm not suggesting you don't get it...just look carefully at all the details and costs. Remember, insurance companies are in the business to make money.

Tpotter, thanks.

The company health insurance agent is looking into it and I will see a paper quote so I can definitely read the fine print. Not sure it's 100K per person or family. Right now we are out about 21k for IVIGs that we are still fighting : (

Work is interested because they can drop dental (includes 5k per person for all dental).

Ill post when I have tghe quotes.

T.Anna