ACN Latitudes Forums

My son was soposed to get IVIG; but, after meeting our PANDAS doc., and because his ASO is rising (was 260; now on 500); he want us to remove his tonsils first. So we hope to remove the problem with strep.

he also said that he will feel worse after tonsilectomy.

The question is -have You seen some long term betterment after removing T&A?

Any one had some obvious positive results from tonsilectomy ?

Make sure to have him on a "sterilizing" run of antibiotics before, during and after the T&A. Sometimes the Strep breaks free at the surgical site and colonizes in the body (like in my son's case). We did not have antibiotics for the T&A which was a big mistake! If you have lots of heavy antibiotics on board it will guard against this. Yes, longer term, my son is better without tonsils. I would hughly recommend going forward, making sure that you have the antibiotics as precaution. If your kiddo is solely Strep throat, removing the tonsils should help!

We got back to 100% for the first time in 2+ yes with tonsillectomy. It was immediate and wonderful - like beeskneesmommy said, abx prior, during and post-op.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a permanent fix for us, our son got strep 6 wks post op and we were back to square 1.

But I would do it all over again.

Ds 11 had T & A 1 year ago. We saw immediate resolution of tics 2 days after surgery. We did antibiotics before during and after surgery. He is still on antibiotics for strep prevention and doing incredibly well. He has had a few episodes of tics with ear infections but this was definately a huge help for us.