ACN Latitudes Forums

Amino Acid Long Term Use? Okay or Not?

Hi ,

I have found a lot of helpful information in this forum.

I learn that in this forum taking GABA and L-Carnitine long term is not good. How about Taurine? My doctor told me to give it to me son to calm his tics and hyperactive, but never told me when to stop. In fact, it does help him with tics and especially with brain fogs which can last for 3 months. I also learn that too much on Taurine will cause uncontrol hyperactive.

My question is if it okay to take taurine for long term or not? If it is okay to take long term, how much dose for a 9 to nearly 10 years old child? (I only give him 500 mg twice a day morning and evening, which is less than half dose of what doctor recommend).

How about any other types of amino acid like N-acetylceistein, quercitin and others for long term or short term?

If it should be short term use for all amino acid, how long will you recommend?

And if it should be short term use, then my son has taken Taurine for nearly a year, how do I stop him taking it without having him to have brain fogs again.

Thank you very much! Will be truly appreciated for any advice.

JJ

Edited by JosyJoy

Hi

it really depends on the amino acid and also the individual so best to consult your doctor on specifics

Just an FYI that quercitin is a bioflavinoid, not an amino acid and GABA is a neurotransmitter not an amino acid

Taurine is an amino acid and as far as I know is safe long term IF there is a deficiency.

NAC is a variant (man made) of the amino acid cisteine and as very few studies have been done on it, especially related to children, there really are a lot of unknowns in terms of longterm use of it

iHerb has a good database on supplements, although they do not list all the conditions they are used for