ACN Latitudes Forums

Inability to Detox

So after reviewing and rethinking our Lyme appt and answering my sister's questions, I am wondering if all of this getting rid of viruses and other chronic infections is for nothing. Maybe i am not understanding things correctly, but it seems as if the reason that we are in this position is because of dd11's inability to detox. She has the c677 gene mutation. She has been prescribed methylfolate, and I have methyl b12. But neither her Lyme doc nor her PANDAS doc seem to be giving much credence to that.

I understand that we have to get rid of chronic issues in order to "heal" her, but is there any such thing as healing her? Are we always going to be trying to mop up things that her immune system cannot detox? If that is the case, how will she ever be able to live a "normal" life? Hold a job? Have a family?

What's worse, I have 3 other children who have the same gene mutation. The older one is not as seriously affected (although they all have Lyme). But my 7 year old and three year old seem to have OCD, and my 7 year old boy has some strange things. His behavior is starting to seem like my dd11's on a slightly milder scale. They all have frequent strep and some sort of virus that swells a vein in their eye. They all have issues with yeast. My son has bumps on his elbows that make me think of hand, foot and mouth (coxsackie), but I don't know for sure.

So, is this just it for us? Do people ever really heal?

Mmm, JMO--

Everyone can detox- some may need more help at it than others.

Absolutely, of course, people really do heal.

My 1st LLMD did the popular Shoemaker protocol (for mold illness)

one of my genetic genes (and my dd ended up with one, too)

claims to make it 'incapable of detoxing Lyme and mold toxins'

I didn't care to be told that, frankly.

What it meant to us was we needed to make sure detoxing our bodies

while going through all the 'killing' of infections was very important - and necessary.

It also made treatment easier (as far as not being too sick to not function while going through treatment,

or being able to handle high doses of antibiotics or herbs)

So, we did things like

Binders: cholystramine powder, bentonite capsules, sometimes charcoal caps, or triphala herb caps-

Always kept bowels regular and moving: Oxy powder capsules, magnesium citrate caps

Nightly hot Epsom salt baths, body brushing beforehand, then sitting for at least 20 minutes-

Sweating: through exercise, the Epsom salt baths, FIR sauna, walking, mini tramp for lymph movement

Some homeopathic for body drainage- Pekana big 3 trio

Support liver- milk thistle, ALA, liver life

Nutrimedix detox drops: Burbur, Parsley, Pinella

Supported immune system with transfer factor

Massage

Rest when needed

Keep the diet as clean and healthy as possible- cut the blatant sugar, etc.

Vitamin and minerals- D3, healthy oils, Curcumin, high quality probiotics

On and on. Yep, it was a lot of work, and added expense. But part of the deal to feel better and tolerate treatment.

Yes, there is absolutely healing. I believe that all of the things I've unearthed in this long journey will help my kids improve their health far into the future. But as I understand the impact of MTHFR C677T, it isn't as a detox problem. C677T impacts cell energy (in playing a role in the synthesis of ATP) and heart health (and the creation of homocysteine). Indirectly, it can also play a role in moods by impacting the synthesis of SAMe.

The genes that more directly impact detox - the transsulfuration pathway - are CBS and SUOX. HLA-DR genes can also play a role, especially in mold and chronic lyme illnesses. And even then, by helping the body around these roadblocks (with specific supplements and avoidance of certain foods), you can certainly lead a health, productive and happy life.

But I don't think C677T means you can't detox. And mo matter what your genetic status, you need to fight chronic infections like lyme with a multiple tool approach - killing bacteria, viruses, biofilms, eliminating metals while also supporting the body, healing the gut, reducing inflammation.... it's a long, slow process. It's suppressing/killing on one hand but also building and strengthening and cleansing on the other.

I think when you first get hit with all of this, you feel like you've fallen down a very deep well with no way out. But it does get better and yes, the kids do get healthy and can even take the lessons learned in this struggle and apply them to the rest of life. The problem with forums is two fold - first, you get lots of well meaning advice but none of us will know your full story and we don't have medical degrees. Second, as our kids get better, we leave forums and rebuild lives. So the view on a forum is always skewed toward illness.

I would certainly treat C677T but I wouldn't consider it a sentence to a life of misery. Just a hurdle that will require some self-education and customized vitamin/diet regimen that will ultimately improve health.

Yes, there is absolutely healing. I believe that all of the things I've unearthed in this long journey will help my kids improve their health far into the future. But as I understand the impact of MTHFR C677T, it isn't as a detox problem. C677T impacts cell energy (in playing a role in the synthesis of ATP) and heart health (and the creation of homocysteine). Indirectly, it can also play a role in moods by impacting the synthesis of SAMe.

The genes that more directly impact detox - the transsulfuration pathway - are CBS and SUOX. HLA-DR genes can also play a role, especially in mold and chronic lyme illnesses. And even then, by helping the body around these roadblocks (with specific supplements and avoidance of certain foods), you can certainly lead a health, productive and happy life.

But I don't think C677T means you can't detox. And mo matter what your genetic status, you need to fight chronic infections like lyme with a multiple tool approach - killing bacteria, viruses, biofilms, eliminating metals while also supporting the body, healing the gut, reducing inflammation.... it's a long, slow process. It's suppressing/killing on one hand but also building and strengthening and cleansing on the other.

I think when you first get hit with all of this, you feel like you've fallen down a very deep well with no way out. But it does get better and yes, the kids do get healthy and can even take the lessons learned in this struggle and apply them to the rest of life. The problem with forums is two fold - first, you get lots of well meaning advice but none of us will know your full story and we don't have medical degrees. Second, as our kids get better, we leave forums and rebuild lives. So the view on a forum is always skewed toward illness.

I would certainly treat C677T but I wouldn't consider it a sentence to a life of misery. Just a hurdle that will require some self-education and customized vitamin/diet regimen that will ultimately improve health.

LLM...thank you for this wonderful explanation. It makes so much sense to me, and I really hope that it will help my son to understand why it's so important to do everything that we are doing for him (I'll share it with him.)