ACN Latitudes Forums

Last IVig and abx plan

Hi all:

Here's the plan, which makes sense, but I wanted to run it by you. We are having a 2nd IVig in May. DS6 is doing very well, but has minor occasional flares when exposed. Strep titres have gone up/down over the last 2.5 years but no + Strep tests and no niticeable infection. He is one that reacts and has elevated titres due to exposure. He has been on Augmetin and Azith daily for almost 2 years and had his 1st, very successful IVig last Sept. The upcoming IVig is to try to knock out the last of the intermittent PANDAS symptoms. The plan is, at the start of the IVig in May, take off the Augmentin and start 30 days of Clyndomycin. At the same time, 14 days of Rifampin. The Azith will stay on board. After the Clyndo and Rifampin are completed, the Azith will stay on board and then taper down as a prophylaxis. The doc's idea is to blow out any residual Strep.

For those that have experience with Clyndo and Rifampin, do they have the same antiinflammatory properties as Augmentin? Does this sound feasible for his gut? He has had some elevated Candida, but is being treated with Diflucan daily. I will keep the Diflucan on board throughout the process, then test him for Candida again....

We've never done clinda, but the only abx that has ever given my son tummy issues has been rifampin (we have been very lucky in that regard), but he has been on it for a few months now and we've managed it well with pro-biotics.

Just our experience. If you haven't done rifampin before - be aware that it can cause their urine and tears to turn an orangish/redish color - so don't freak out.

And if you need to have it made into a suspension - it stains so be careful!

Great to hear Thenmama! We are almost there - just minor flares and occasional tics when tired. @Arial, Dr. L told me about the urine but I was unaware of the tears. That would freak me out before I put 2 and 2 together! We do have to have a suspension compounded, but at least the Rifampin is only for 2 weeks. We have been pretty lucky with the gut since he has been on big gun abx steadily for 2.5 years! I am hoping that this will set him up for a great summer and the start of his new school and 1st grade in the Fall. Warm thoughts and positive healing to you both!

I took Rifampin myself once-- and apparently it can also tint sweat. I didn't go all Oompa Loompa or anything, but did learn it can cause discoloration similar to the tears and urine. Another one of those things it's best to know about in advance b/c it might otherwise cause a bit of panic!