ACN Latitudes Forums

Clicking/cracking joints tic

Hi, I'm new here and relieved that I have found somewhere to come and read/chat about tics. I live in Adelaide, South Australia and my son started having his tics about 2 years ago.

After almost a year of no tics it seems to be back with a vengence. His latest tic is clicking/cracking various joints, mainly toes, ankle, knees, fingers and neck which has gone on for almost 5 weeks now. Yesterday his left big toe was so sore he couldn't put his shoe on and after taking him to the doctor and getting an x-ray it seems he has fractured a bone! The doctor didn't want to hear about the 5 weeks of cracking his toe or the other tics, only the problem of the fracture itself which was disappointing and frustrating.

I am just wondering if anyone else here has had a similar problem and also there is any advice about getting to sleep at night as he is so busy cracking his joints, it takes a while. Thankfully school holidays are about to start and I am hoping that with this the tics will subside.

Any comments will be greatfully received and thank you in advance for your time.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I usually post on the PANS forum but your Topic caught my eye. My DS main PANS symptoms were Tics but he also had other sensory issues and adhd behaviour when flaring with PANS. Since he's been on an antibiotic I haven't noticed any of his previous Tics. He does, however, crack his joints in his fingers and toes. He does this when he's watching TV or when he's in bed before he falls asleep. He only cracks his toes and fingers once then stops. This has started a couple months back.

I remember lots of kids cracking their joints on purpose when I was child and the parents saying you will get Arthritis if you keep doing that. So I really didn't think this was a Tic or a Tic for him. Now if I mention this to him he will just do it more and laugh. I'm hoping this is just a habit and will eventually fade away. I do hope that he doesn't break a toe.The Dr dismissing your comment about him cracking his joints for 5 weeks does not surprise me at all. I find most mainstream Dr's don't care about getting to the bottom of something they just want to fix the problem at hand.

I don't think my post helps you in anyway but I wanted to let you know that I am dealing with it too.

I hope other's can give you some better advice. Good luck

Thank you for your reply which I found helpful.

Because my son is almost 12 he can explain to me about his tics and we can talk about them together which is so helpful. I has no ADHD or OCD and apart from the tics, is just your average, mainstream 11 year old. In fact if it wasn't for the neck clicking one in which he rolls his head, you really wouldn't know he has them. When he is on the computer, playing Nintendo or on his ipod you hardly see it, it is just when he is not distracted by anything or bored. When he isn't occupying his mind he says that he gets a feeling that he has to click whatever joint it may be and after he does he says it is just the most wonderful feeling. He is not upset by his tics and is still the happy go lucky loving boy he always was. I try not to talk about them too often as I don't want that to be an influence but have left it open that if he wants to talk about it then I am always there to listen. I am trying him on Mag Phos to see if this helps as now that it is school hols, I think this is a good time for be to be able to watch and monitor things.

5 weeks ago when the tics started again I felt my heart break and had this feeling of being so alone and afraid for him. Now I have found a new closeness in our relationship and that I know we will get through this together. Things really aren't that bad.

I know how you feel. My Heart breaks everytime he tics and that scared afraid feeling of will he be okay?? Could he deal with this and no one better mess with him or else!!! My ds will be ll in a couple of weeks. These kids are smart and tough! He tells me these are his habits that he can't control. He has this open relationship with me that he can discuss so we node and smile. I am glad that he knows I understand. It's stessful for me bc I don't want to see anyone pointing it out!! But I think talking to me will help.

Mar