ACN Latitudes Forums

How can I test for mold?

Where do you live? We have a very good mold expert (certified, and all.) He did air testing with tons of explanation, etc. Not cheap, but overall gave us some very good answers, and in the end, it's way less expensive than living with the mold. And, yes...do it yourself, not through the super.

Oh, and make sure that if it comes back positive, that all remediation is done properly. Check back with us if it comes back positive, so we can give you suggestions. The last thing you want is what happened to us (it was spread throughout the entire house by the company recommended by our insurance company...supposedly mold certified, but took shortcuts. Totally a nightmare.

Edited by tpotter

I agree with doing it yourself. Our doc recommends ERMI testing as the best way to determine whether mold is a problem in your home. The way it was explained to me is that mold spores do not stay suspended in the air forever, but settle down onto the flooring. So testing the dust from your floor/carpet is most likely to find the spores. It doesn't tell you where it is, but will let you know if you need to look further. It also tells you what types of mold are in the home. Here's their website: http://www.mycometrics.com/. You can just call them to order a test kit. I think it costs about $300.

Another way to go about it is to do blood tests on whoever you think might be affected. Ritchie Shoemaker's website talks about what tests to run: http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/lab-tests. The benefit of this is you don't have to test both home and work, or home and school for kids.

I agree with doing it yourself. Our doc recommends ERMI testing as the best way to determine whether mold is a problem in your home. The way it was explained to me is that mold spores do not stay suspended in the air forever, but settle down onto the flooring. So testing the dust from your floor/carpet is most likely to find the spores. It doesn't tell you where it is, but will let you know if you need to look further. It also tells you what types of mold are in the home. Here's their website: http://www.mycometrics.com/. You can just call them to order a test kit. I think it costs about $300.

Another way to go about it is to do blood tests on whoever you think might be affected. Ritchie Shoemaker's website talks about what tests to run: http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/lab-tests. The benefit of this is you don't have to test both home and work, or home and school for kids.

Doing Dr. Shoemaker's tests tells you if you are reacting to neurotoxins and the first part of treatment is not being around mold. So, you may want to check where you are living first to see if that may even be a possibility (ERMI test). The test lists around 65 molds, the 1st part of the report are indoor molds, and 2nd part are outdoor. Many of them cause cancer etc. If paying for the ERMI test is too much for your budget, then you may want to find a dr. that does the Dr. Shoemaker tests/protocol and hopefully insurance would cover it. Eventually, though, if the tests point to 'mold' you then have to deal with looking at your living quarters as a possible source. Our dr. only did some of Dr. Shoemaker's tests a nd it seems most, if not all of them, were covered by insurance.

Dr. Shoemaker is currently in the process of certifying doctors in his protocol so they may have a list of dr.'s that have been certified at www.survivingmold.com

Probably a good thing you are looking into this as those with immune issues can be affected more than others by the nuerotoxins in mold. With that said, mold is not good for anyone's health.