ACN Latitudes Forums

Palatial expander

So tooth dd to orthodontist today bc several of her teeth are not coming in bc no room . Anyway my question is they want to put in platal expanders on bottom and on top. Dd has been doing well with no tics and it just scars me. I have read that it could cause voice changes and excessive Sylvia. Which I fear can cause issues. She is happy and all ready to get this done since her favorite cousins had braces at same place. In her situation with I need to confirm she will need several teeth ripped out and what not if we don't go this route. Has anyone had any experience with this???? Curious and conserned??

Mar

My son had a palatal expander (on the top only) installed a couple months ago. I was worried that it would be painful and annoying for him, but it was really a breeze. After the first two days, he was fine and doesn't even think about it at all now. I've never heard that it causes voice changes, but it does increase saliva in the mouth (just like a retainer does). He did talk a little funny at first, but I don't even notice it now.

DS was diagnosed with Lyme (and had a head tic) back in December. His tic went away shortly after the start of treatment and nothing came back with the expander in place.