ACN Latitudes Forums

Leaving On a Jet Plane....(With a Raging Child)

Our Lyme appt is coming up in a few days, and we'll be getting on a plane. However, my dd11 is raging constantly and cannot stand anyone touching her or being confined in tight spaces. Perfect conditions for a plane ride!

I have an anti-anxiety med that I am planning to give her about 15 mins before we go through security. Then the flight is 4 hours with 1 stop (arghhhhh!). Her med is fairly short-lived, and I am bringing some Benadryl for any break-through irritability. However, I feel like I might need another back-up....and I welcome any other ideas!!!

In addition, she can now only wear one pair of pants---thin leggings with a big hole over the knee--one or two shirts, and occasionally crocs. We are going where it will be cold!

Any ideas?

First, will she TAKE the med.

Second, do you know how she will react to the med? I bring these two points up only because we have had paradoxical effects to so many psych meds, and taking meds has been a HUGE issue with an upset child. Anyway you can test it out if it is a new drug? My 2 cents from experience. Dawn

First, will she TAKE the med.

Second, do you know how she will react to the med? I bring these two points up only because we have had paradoxical effects to so many psych meds, and taking meds has been a HUGE issue with an upset child. Anyway you can test it out if it is a new drug? My 2 cents from experience. Dawn

Good points. She is very oppositional, but I have been able to get her to take it. We have tried it 3 times now to get the dose right, and it does seem to work, but it is short-lived.

Also, have you considered Vistaril instead of Benedryl. Both are old antihistamines. Vistaril needs an Rx, but it has wayyyy better anti-anxiety properties than Benedryl along with the normal antihistamine properties. It doesn't interfere with other meds either. Worth a check.

I haven't heard of Vistaril but will see if I can get her PANDAS doc to write an rx for this. We definitely need the way better anti-anxiety stuff. I am also planning on using this for bedtime as I have not been able to get her to go to bed, and when we went to the PANDAS doc, she could not handle the evening and raged until 2 a.m. We use melatonin, but at this point, it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I use a product called Ex-stress or Night Rest, which is a valarian, hops, passion flower, skull cap, and camomile combo (there are many different ones of these by many different names). If need be, I can dose this with a benadryl, or you can dose it with the rx med you have as well (probably I would not do all three together), What rx did the doc give you for her anxiety if I may ask? I "assume" it is valium or xanax, but of course, I am not positive.

May not work for you, but one thing I have found is that if I am calmer, kiddo is calmer; if I am uptight, kiddo is more uptight. Sooooooo, in stressful times (blood draws, or surgery) I pack enough for us BOTH!! I can take the valarian prep without it causing drowsiness, so I am able to drive in "big town" traffic with anxiety.

Vistaril and Atarax are the same thing. They are both Hydroxyzine HCL (one is a tablet and one is a capsule) which is another antihistamine. It is still a prescription drug, I believe, only because no one ever did the studies for over the counter safety.

Were you able to try Burbur to see if it helps rages? It really seems to work for us. Also I can't recall but are you using mthf? I was giving DD way too much and it seemed to exacerbate rages. Good luck I feel for you. Just keep in your head that this will be the worst part and you are making it better.

Were you able to try Burbur to see if it helps rages? It really seems to work for us. Also I can't recall but are you using mthf? I was giving DD way too much and it seemed to exacerbate rages. Good luck I feel for you. Just keep in your head that this will be the worst part and you are making it better.

Just remember you will never see the people on the airplane again. So don't worry about their reactions...just focus on your family.

Can you dose your daughter with a second dose of the anti-anxiety pill during layover?

Also we live in NJ and my son went through the entire winter wearing no socks and fur-lined crocs. Being cold won't hurt her and ---despite old wives tales --- won't make her sick. Pick your battles I say....whatever gets you through the trip.

Good luck!!

I suggest calling the airline's customer relations department and letting them know of your daughter's current state. They may let you board first with passengers with disabilities, which might ease some of your daughter's stress when boarding since being touched and bumped during boarding and deboarding is inevitable. Also , the airport puts everyone on edge even on a good day, and I would worry that the TSA might have issues with outbursts and rage if they aren't informed ahead of time that your daughter is in a fragile state right now and you are traveling to get her help.

When I flew Southwest with my son 2+ years ago and expected him to have outbursts in the airport and on the plane, I called ahead and explained the situation. They made a note on his file (and mine) that he needed extra care, so it helped everyone involved. They let us board early and it helped immensely.

I am so sorry. I know how you feel. I am so proud of you for not caving under this pressure. This is a terrible situation to be in. Not many people understand a raging child on a plane (except PANS parents). You are doing the right thing by making a plan. I agree with the previous poster.....I say just do whatever it takes to get through the situation. Block out everyone else and concentrate only on your family. Don't worry about what she wears. It won't kill her. The most important thing at this point is getting her to the doctor. Even if it's in her PJ's. You are doing a great job in this very difficult situation. Keep up the good work. Let us know how it goes. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck.

Dedee

Have you already tried the anti-anxiety medicine. You want to be certain your child doesn't have a negative (opposite) reaction to it. In our earlier days, I tried meds for a blood draw - dd went berserk and we had to cancel the appt.

Don't worry about what she is wearing or the other people. I like the idea of contacting the airlines. You can also get a doctors note requesting accommodations. Does Advil or Motrin help? Maybe keep that on hand.

Also, one final suggestion. Prepare for extra hours. You never know if bad weather or something else may throw a wrench in your plans. I took a 2 hour flight last Sunday that ended up being 6+ hours due to bad weather. Better to be over prepared.

Best of luck. Sending prayers!

edit- I only skimmed the replies and just reread about the medicine.

Edited by philamom

Ditto on accommodations with plane boarding, etc. We did this with our son and he was able to pre-board or be in the very first group. We had a letter from his doc, but the boarding people didn't need it, they just marked him down as needing to board first.

Whatever it takes to get her there. Crocs--don't even let it register on your Problem-O-Meter. Boy, if there is one thing this ugly disease has taught me: Perspective. Best Wishes. Dawn

Thank you for all of your suggestions. You all really helped calm my worries and gave me an action plan. I ended up asking for vistaril from our pandas doc but there was some confusion, apparently and they never did call it in. I looked for burbur at our health food store but I will have to order that. I did end up getting a valerian root mix and 5htp. I think both of those calmed her somewhat but not really enough.

What did actually help her a lot was 2 activated charcoal caps. She was like Jekyll and Hyde and this was like the magic potion that would bring her back. Short-lived. So today I gave her the charcoal, the klonopin.

The tight space really did start to agitate her and I gave her another anxiety med then. She slept almost the whole way and woke up when we arrived. More anxiety then and I gabe her more charcoal. Does this sound crazy?

In the meantime, we have a couple of days to play in the snow before our appt, and I think I can keep her balanced with this mix until then. Whew! We made it!