ACN Latitudes Forums

Acupunture?

Has anyone tried acupuncture to help with tics? This may have already been brought up but I'd like to find out if there are any success stories. I haven't been able to find a NCUUA chiropractor within 55 miles of my house(which drives me crazy because I live in a major metro area) and I thought maybe acupuncture might help. My son has MANY tics going on this past year which seriously increased when he got braces.

I've done allergy testing, all blood work, etc and mostly he's only allergic to seasonal blooming things like weeds and certain trees. No dust mites, animals, house dust, or molds. I am sure he has sensitivities but I've been trying for 5 years to figure those out and I've had no luck. At this point, I just want to help him with the side effects of the tics: the pain, the discomfort, the frustration, etc. I'm at my wit's end because he's 14 and just feels done trying new dietary changes, etc. Even when he can't read his science textbook or any book for that matter, he still fights me on elimination diets. He is OK with trying supplements, though, so we're doing magnesium and epsom salts baths regularly right now. Anyway, if you've tried acupuncture I'd love to hear about it!

Hi Bonnie

Yes, acupuncture has always been a primary tic calmer for my son. He has been having it since he was 10yo

Just be sure to pick someone who does clinical acupuncture, and preferably one who has experience with TS

I don't know how effective it would be though if it is those braces that are triggering the tics!

I also do acupuncture, although it wasn't for tics. That being said, it helped me immensely with my lung problems and he also really targets my immune system. I picked one out off the internet, and chose him, because he has 30 years experience (turns out he's only 37!), and is Chinese. I figured I'd try him out, because I just felt like I had to do something different. It has really helped me a lot. You also might want to look into ART for diagnosis and tx. We've been doing that, and it has helped immensely.

What is ART? Also, re: the braces, they want to put a dental appliance in called a herbst appliance and I am so afraid to have it put in for ds. It looks like a torture device but it is supposed to bring out ds' lower jaw because his back molars are so far out of alignment because of his HUGE overbite. Anyway, one of his tics right now is where he raises up his right shoulder and tilts his head down to rub the two together. He basically runs his cheek along his shoulder and that will really aggravate the appliance in his mouth and may even cause it break. He also has a yawning tic periodically but the ortho told me that he won't be able to fully open his jaw with this appliance in and I know that it can become dislodged if you yawn too far, etc. I really need to talk to the ortho before they put this thing in.

I am looking into a new naturopathic office so I'm hoping they have a good referral for someone reputable who does acupuncture. I am also doing some work with essential oils but I'm not seeing any difference in the tics yet.