ACN Latitudes Forums

Infectious Behavior

Our Lyme practitioner is mentored by Dr J., who recommended a new book to her. She passed the info to me and I think it may be of interest to some of you. I hope it's ok to post a link to the book - Infectious Behavior ;Brain-Immune Connections in Autism, Schizophrenia and Depression by Paul Patterson - http://www.amazon.com/Infectious-Behavior-Brain-Immune-Connections-Schizophrenia/dp/0262016451

The author's bio, book blog and link to a video on the topic:

Paul H. Patterson is the Anne P. and Benjamin F. Biaggini Professor of Biological Sciences at the California Institute of Technology. He is a midwesterner who received his undergraduate degree from Grinnell College in Iowa, and his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University. He is director of the Caltech joint MD/PhD programs with UCLA and USC. Current research topics in his group include a mouse model of mental illness based on the risk factor of maternal infection, the use of antibodies to treat Huntington's disease, and the mobilization of endogenous neural stem cells in the adult brain for remyelination in a model of multiple sclerosis. Patterson is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the recipient of a Distinguished Investigator Award from the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression, and a McKnight Foundation Neuroscience of Brain Disorders Award. He also received the W. Alden Spencer Award from the Center for Neuroscience, Columbia University, and a Javits Neuroscience Investigator Award from the National Institute of Neurological Disease and Stroke Council. He was the Ulf von Euler Lecturer at the Karolinska Institute, the Jerome Sutin Lecturer at Emory University, the Burton Baker Lecturer at the University of Michigan, the James Cuozzo Memorial Lecturer at the Center for Research on Reproduction and Women's Health of the University of Pennsylvania, and was a visiting Professor at the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London. Dr. Patterson has received several teaching awards at Caltech. He is currently serving on the scientific advisory boards of the Hereditary Disease Foundation, the John Douglas French Alzheimer's Foundation, the International Rett Syndrome Foundation, and the Autism Speaks Foundation.

He is co-author with Alan Brown of "The Origins of Schizophrenia", just published by Columbia University Press.

The blog for "Infectious Behavior" can be found at: http://infectiousbehavior.wordpress.com/

A video of a talk based on this work given several years ago can be found at: http://today.caltech.edu/theater/item?story_id=14483

For the record, I have no ties of any sort to the book, author or Amazon

Heather