ACN Latitudes Forums

aso titers normal

Hello,

My son now 19 has had Pandas since he was 15. His ASO titers have been in the normal range for more that 2 years but still very OCD and a very fearfull of bugs. Is anyone dealing with the same issue and how are you taking care of it?

Thanks

Hello,

My son now 19 has had Pandas since he was 15. His ASO titers have been in the normal range for more that 2 years but still very OCD and a very fearfull of bugs. Is anyone dealing with the same issue and how are you taking care of it?

Thanks

My daughter's titers are VERY low (DNASE-95 and ASO-6 during an actual strep infection).

For OCD, most folks on here recommend treatment with the proper antibiotics to get the underlying issue in control and ERP (Exposure-Response prevention). A google search on this is very informative: My link,

In a nut shell, it is slowly and methodically exposing a person to what they fear in a manner they learn they can handle and overcome the fear/anxiety associated. It is very empowering when successful. Read up on it. There are many ways to this wrong and the negatives of doing this wrong are not good, BUT if you read up on it, it can be successfully done at home by a well-read parent.

I am also giving my daughter lemon balm capsules for separation anxiety at the moment, until we get a good handle on the ERP and a bit deeper into the program.

Edited by Mayzoo

Lots of PANDAS/PANS kids have triggers other than or in addition to strep. Mycoplasma pneumonia (causes walking pneumonia) or lyme are common triggers for autoimmunity. Agree w/ Mayzoo on the ERP, but the patient has to be willing to work on it. Sometimes the anxiety is just too great. I know not everybody agrees, but sometimes using an anti-anxiolitic medication can help until they develop the skills to overcome the obsessions and compulsions.

My son's trigger is strep, but his titer scores are always normal, in fact, nearly nonexistent even when the labs are taken on a day when he just swabbed positive for strep. In his case, he had two IVIGs, later long-term high dose augmentin with steroid taper. Was your child's antinasal dna antibody score high?