ACN Latitudes Forums

GABA Chewable Supplement

blee

My son was diagonsed with Tourettes in July 2011.

He had extremely loud vocal tics, which were very challenging. I would be up every night in tears reading forums, blogs and in search of answers.

We have been seeing an integrative doctor for 9 months to try to reduce/minimize tics through diet modification and supplements.

For the first time in a very long time, my son's vocal tics have declined by 80% and the tics are not very noticeable. The decrease came 1-2 days after he started taking a GABA chewable supplement. In addition to GABA, my 8 yr old son is also taking magnesium, fish oil, iron and vitamin D. He is also on a Gluten Free diet, artificial, color and MSG free diet.

It's been 2.5 weeks and things seem to be the same. It's the best feeling I have had over 1.5 years and I'm praying that the supplements continue to be effective long term. I wanted to share because this blog has done so much for me on a mental level.

I will do my best to provide updates on this supplement.

He had extremely loud vocal tics, which were very challenging. I would be up every night in tears reading forums, blogs and in search of answers.

We have been seeing an integrative doctor for 9 months to try to reduce/minimize tics through diet modification and supplements.

For the first time in a very long time, my son's vocal tics have declined by 80% and the tics are not very noticeable. The decrease came 1-2 days after he started taking a GABA chewable supplement. In addition to GABA, my 8 yr old son is also taking magnesium, fish oil, iron and vitamin D. He is also on a Gluten Free diet, artificial, color and MSG free diet.

It's been 2.5 weeks and things seem to be the same. It's the best feeling I have had over 1.5 years and I'm praying that the supplements continue to be effective long term. I wanted to share because this blog has done so much for me on a mental level.

Thank you for commenting on GABA. Looking forward to see more updates on the supplements your child is using.

my son was on GABA once for anxiety, but we did not notice any positive or negative effect from it on tics at that time.

I have been told that one does need to be careful with GABA, not using it longterm and that it should never be abruptly started or stopped but always titrated up or down

I am not sure if that is the same with these chewables?

Hello, thanks for sharing your positive experience. Could you please let me know which brand for the GABA chewable supplement are you using? I would keep this info for future reference.

Thanks,

Amy

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

You all definitely need to read the book, Minding My Mitochondria by Terry Wahls, M.D. in which she chronicles how she reversed

her MS (multiple sclerosis), finally bypassing supplements to concentrate on real food instead. She has a 17-minute TED talk that gives

overview.

She has an extensive overview of nutrients and how to supply these with real food.

The body does not produce GABA from food--but many foods are precursors to the (neurotransmitter) GABA by supplying glutamic acid and glutamate. Please see this link to get an overview of foods to promote GABA production: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535886-gaba-serotonin-diet/

I would incorporate any of these foods in a child's diet (given that none of these are allergens for the child):

Almonds, which contain 10.3 grams of glutamic acid or glutamate per 6 to 8 ounces, top the list of GABA-stimulating foods. Other foods in this category -- and their glutamate/glutamic acid content per 6 to 8 ounces -- include whole wheat, whole grain, 8.6 grams; halibut, 7.9 grams; oats, whole grain, 7.5 grams; beef liver, 6.5 grams; walnuts, 5.4 grams; rice bran, 3.4 grams; lentils, 2.8 grams; brown rice, 0.94 grams; potato, 0.83 grams; broccoli, 0.74 grams; spinach, 0.68 grams; bananas, 0.22 grams; and oranges, 0.21 grams.

We are slowly reducing severe almost total body ticcing with our son (age 25) by thorough diet clean-up (he had lived a typical junk-food college lifestyle until his ticcing spiraled out of control). Our son, D, is also now going: casein (milk) and gluten free; additive free, no artificial flavors or colors, no preservatives, no GMO foods (linked to immune and allergy disorders), organic when posssible, etc. I've done many posts already on the extensive list of what we are doing. it is slowly helping. We also are giving Toxin-free cod liver oil (for Omega Free Fatty Acids), trying to have him get more sunshine (he has low Vit. D levels--so critical, as Vit. D is epigenetic--controls a wide number of body reactions through several genes); etc.

Thanks, Hopeful 2 (a mom)

• 4 years later...

My son is living has Tourettes from what I know it is a mild case due to the fact he can control it while he is in class.  The only issue with that is that is all he can think about is how to control it while he is in class.  This being said I am hoping to try this product.  I don't know where to start what dosage how often.  

Can someone guide me?  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm 25 male who have had Tourettes since around 10 years old.  I've been on medication ever since. I learned about this forum a couple years ago, and I tried many natural ways to reduce my tics, including removing artificial flavours/colours from my diet, trying Natural calm + Calcium combo, Multi vitamin, probiotics, Vitamin B complex, Flax Seed, Omega 3, but I don't think they are helping.

I recently saw a post about GABA, and did some search, and I came to this thread. Two options I haven't tried yet are GABA and TMJ mouth piece, which also I learned from here, and also Youtube. The mouthpiece is very very expensive, so I'm holding that off for now, trying other things first. Actually another thing I know but haven't tried is CBD oil; I might try that one day. I have heard a lot of good things about it on Reddit.

I just ordered PharmaGABA (by Natural Factors) chewable. I'm very excited to try, but I read some people warning about not to take it long term, or to not start or stop abruptly. 

Could I have some tips? This supplement is pretty expensive. I paid $33 (CAD) including shipping for 60 tablets. If I take as recommended, which is 2 tablets/day, then I'll finish it in a month. In terms of supplements, this is pretty expensive imo. Am I supposed to take it every day? Interestingly, many websites don't mention about not to start or stop abruptly, and they say it's all natural and helps really well for many things, while people on the forums say not to start or stop abruptly. 

Any tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...