ACN Latitudes Forums

TS in Late Teen & Adulthood

Hi,

My child is on rotation diet, which has limited him a lot of food, plus multivitamin from Bontech supplement, probiotic and taurine. Therefore, his tics are no longer waxing and waning like he was 3 years ago before he started the rotation diet. His tics will be aggravated only if he eats the wrong food, or try the wrong supplements. He is still struggling on compulsion and hyperactive, which magnesium and fish oils cannot help him. I read that some people do not have to following the diet so strictly when they are late teen. Some people said TS is life long. Some said 75% of people who has TS will overcome during adulthood. Some said rotation diet can help people get well in 2 years. What do you think? My child is still on strict rotation diet. Does he need to be on the strict diet for his whole life? Can tics diminish during adulthood? How about compulsion and hyperactive?

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JosyJoy, It's good you have been able to stick to a rotation diet and see improvement with tics, and you say you've seen they get worse if he eats the wrong food. But I know that is hard to maintain that diet. Sometimes people can let up on the diet a little after an extended time, or at least experiment with doing that. Sometimes the food reaction is related in part to the total load of allergic issues a person is dealing with.

In other words, if he is an allergic child and those allergies are not under control (dust, mold, pollen, animal dander) or he is exposed to toxins/scented products his food sensitivities might be worse. Since he is so sensitive to foods, there is a chance he is also sensitive to other things in his environment. Did your doctor advise you in this area or have you had a chance to look into it?

Tics often do get better with age-- just as childhood allergies often improve over time. Of course it is hard to predict.

The Great Smokies Medical Center clarifies some of the common cross reactions that can occur between foods and inhalant allergens. See the info below. Does your son have allergies? If so, they may need to be controlled in order to get the best response to dietary approaches.

If you are especially allergic to ragweed, there is an increased chance that you will react to the following foods through cross-reactivity: chamomile, melons, squash, egg, milk, mint, bananas, and lettuce.

If you are especially allergic to grass pollen, there is an increased chance through cross-reactivity that you will be allergic to: legumes, including beans, peas, cottonseed, soybean, and its byproducts, and cooking fats.

If you are especially allergic to birch pollen, there is an increased chance that you will react to the following foods through cross-sensitivity: raw apples, carrots, and celery. More info from this site here.

Does any of this seem to be a match for your son? Sheila

Thank you so much Sheila.

My son has done food sensitive tests twices. The first one was done when he was 7, and I think he did it using IEg. The second one was done using LEAP or MRT when he was 9. The first one had a lot of food sensitive, so that I took away many food from his diet for about 2 years. His tics was dramatically decreased losing waxing and waning from that time on. The second report has fewer food sensitive, but when he ate some food even he was not shown to be sensitive (or very tiny little reaction) in the report, still trigger tics (like vocal tics, repeating the first sound of the words after saying the words, eyes blinking) or OCD or hyperactive (or irritated). The second report was shown that he was moderate sensitive to some chemical like potassium nitrate, FD & C yellow #5, sodium metabisulfite, lecithin, polysorbate 80 plus some other food.

He hasn't actually done the allergy skin test, but I will request an appointment for him to test for the inhalant allergens.

I am also wondering if his body will react to the new food which he hasn't been eating it for long time because of his system is not used to it?

Thank you so much!

For the inhalant allergies, you might want to consider Modified Quantitative Testing (MQT). It is mainstream, generally covered by insurance, and is considered more accurate than standard skin pricks. It provides a more specialized therapeutic dose than standard inhalant testing. Could look for someone experienced in this technique.

If you introduce a new food back into his diet that you already know he has been sensitive to, a very small amount should be used to avoid the possibility of a significant reaction. Also, try to have it in pure form (not a processed food) and organic. For example, a little organic cream of wheat made with water versus a muffin. This assumes wheat is a problem, not a gluten sensitivity.

Avoidance of a food for more than a year is often helpful in reducing reactions in mild to moderate food issues, but it depends on the severity and type of food. Peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish are often the most long term. Some allergists prefer to have a child retested for a food before introducing it orally, to be sure it seems safe -- again, depending on the circumstances; and some want to have any oral challenge done in their office. You can be the judge of whether that is needed based on the level of reactions to foods that you've seen.

It is important to be sure that he avoids all chemical additives in foods including artificial sweeteners, while you also watch the environmental exposures. And keep sugars to a minimum.

Has anything else changed for him -- new house, remodeling or painting, leaks and mold, pest treatments, new car, new or remodeled school? And what do you think about his bedroom--how is it as far as electromagnetic exposures and dust, pets, etc?

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Truly appreciated for all your advice. I am looking forward for my son to do the MQT which I had found one nearby my local hospital. And I saw my son having more tics while my house was remodeled, and touching pets. Many many thanks to you!