ACN Latitudes Forums

Supplements-is this right?

After reading the recent threads about supplements and compounds I'm afraid that I may be causing more issues with my lack of knowledge.

DS tested positive for Mycoplasma, Coxsackie and strep (with the latter two the bigger issues).

He is 4 days post IVIG and taking Doxycycline and Azithromycin and 25mg of Luvox.

Supplements:

Advil

Multi Vitamin (1/2 dose)

D3

magnesium

Vitamin C

Melatonin

Phillips laxative caplets (1/2 dose)

ProBiotics:

Florastor

Culturelle

Thanks as always,

T.Anna

Omg I've tried to reply three times and keep getting erased. If I post multiple times, please forgive me.

Your supplement list looks relatively safe and you should have no adverse effects from what you are giving.

What multivitamin are you using?

Two comments....first I would consider adding an omega 3 supplement. Very good to counteract inflammation. Stick with a high quality brand that has little to no Omega 6 or 9. We use Barleans omega swirl (tastes great..honestly! My son is picky as ###### and drinks this straight. )

Also my son has had lifelong GI/constipation issues. We have been trying to wean him off Rx meds and recently started Natural Calm, which is Magnesium Citrate. It has worked wonders for his constipation. Just a suggestion...my son's constipation was severe but he's doing so much better now.

I hope this was helpful!

Omg I've tried to reply three times and keep getting erased. If I post multiple times, please forgive me.

Your supplement list looks relatively safe and you should have no adverse effects from what you are giving.

Two comments....first I would consider adding an omega 3 supplement. Very good to counteract inflammation. Stick with a high quality brand that has little to no Omega 6 or 9. We use Barleans omega swirl (tastes great..honestly! My son is picky as ###### and drinks this straight. )

Also my son has had lifelong GI/constipation issues. We have been trying to wean him off Rx meds and recently started Natural Calm, which is Magnesium Citrate. It has worked wonders for his constipation. Just a suggestion...my son's constipation was severe but he's doing so much better now.

I hope this was helpful!

Which flavor Barleans do you use? We have the lime and my son spits it. The other flavors seemed to contain omega 6 and 9 but lime and one other (forget which) did not. Of course, this is the 7th omega 3 supplement we've tried that he hates....

I hope this was helpful!

Which flavor Barleans do you use? We have the lime and my son spits it. The other flavors seemed to contain omega 6 and 9 but lime and one other (forget which) did not. Of course, this is the 7th omega 3 supplement we've tried that he hates....

I buy the Omega Swirl Mango Peach to go packets. It has only Omega 3. For some reason that flavor in a bottle has Omega 6&9 but the to go packets do not.

Omega 6s are not bad for everyone. Omega 3s are not good for everyone. If you have pyroluria, you actually need to avoid Omega 3s and supplement with Evening primrose oil (a non-inflammatory omega 6). Here's an article on pyroluria FYI http://naturalinsight.hubpages.com/hub/Pyroluria-A-Hidden-Disorder

If your son is avoiding Omega 3s, his body may know something you don't. But if pyroluria isn't a problem, and you're looking for an Omega 3 alternative, you can try flaxseed oil, which is available as a gelcap and doesn't have that fishy issue. Flaxseed requires an extra step in metabolism but ultimately provides Omega 3 benefits.

also, FWIW - florastor (sacc boulardis) makes my son very agitated. I don't know why, but even tho it's supposed to be a "good" yeast, it doesn't agree with everyone. Just keep an eye out - if you see anger or agitation or loss of impulse control, remove the florastor for a week and see if you notice any improvement.

Edited by LLM

Omega 6s are not bad for everyone. Omega 3s are not good for everyone. If you have pyroluria, you actually need to avoid Omega 3s and supplement with Evening primrose oil (a non-inflammatory omega 6). Here's an article on pyroluria FYI http://naturalinsight.hubpages.com/hub/Pyroluria-A-Hidden-Disorder

If your son is avoiding Omega 3s, his body may know something you don't. But if pyroluria isn't a problem, and you're looking for an Omega 3 alternative, you can try flaxseed oil, which is available as a gelcap and doesn't have that fishy issue. Flaxseed requires an extra step in metabolism but ultimately provides Omega 3 benefits.

also, FWIW - florastor (sacc boulardis) makes my son very agitated. I don't know why, but even tho it's supposed to be a "good" yeast, it doesn't agree with everyone. Just keep an eye out - if you see anger or agitation or loss of impulse control, remove the florastor for a week and see if you notice any improvement.

Thanks for the tips LLM! I'm going to read up on pyroluria. I thought Omega 3 was universally tolerated, but I guess with this group, they can be sensitive to anything. My son can't take too high a dose of probiotic. I've tried a few times to bump it up and he gets irritable and overlly silly.

Thanks for all the responses.

Re: Laxative

He went last night from 1:40am to 7:00am and I think the laxative prob made things worse. I think I'll eliminate that one, since he still is only going twice a week and probably feels crampy the rest of the time.

Pro-Biotics:

I'll eliminate the Florastor for a while and see what happens. He does sometimes get angry and stops talking to us, so it would be nice to get away from that (although it has been improving lately).

I'll see what happens after this week w/out the above two pills. Then maybe I'll add the flaxseed since DS is very sensitive to different flavors and the fish will be a turn off for him.

Thanks as always,

T.Anna

Thanks pr40. He has been eating a lot less dairy since being on Doxycycline (cannot be combined with dairy) and not being able to eat cold cheeses.

But with the holiday there will prob be more cheese dishes so I will pay attention if things spiral.

Thanks,

T.Anna

Thanks for the link re: Pyroluria! I had never heard of it and the article was very thorough. My son and I have many of the symptoms. More research in my future (as I'm beginning to learn from this forum, the reasearch never ends)!

Thanks for the link re: Pyroluria! I had never heard of it and the article was very thorough. My son and I have many of the symptoms. More research in my future (as I'm beginning to learn from this forum, the reasearch never ends)!

Here are some additional article that may be helpful:

http://betterhealthguy.com/joomla/images/stories/PDF/kpu_klinghardt_explore_18-6.pdf

http://www.biobalance.org.au/_downloads/acnemjournalnov10.pdf

Treating my son (and myself) for this made a big difference in how we felt.