ACN Latitudes Forums

Zithromax

We switched from zith to other abx, but have not been off abx for a long time. I would ask to taper off and give something if a flare surfaces- either increase zith or use another abx. It should not take 30 days for zith to leave the system, should it?

DS6 has been on abx daily since Sept., 2010. He has been on Augmentin and Azith daily since July 2011. The Azith was a game changer and responsible, in part, for his recovery. Watch your kiddo carefully. I would be concerned about not having any abx protection at this time of year. Maybe summer wouold be less germy?

We tried multiple times to take a break from abx from my son (has been on since Jan 2010) - it was never successful for us. We often either had a major backslide, or tested postitive again for strep - usually lasted less than 10 days off. Only once were we able to pull of a 5 week break in December 2010 - but he stopped sleeping during that time, and eventually tested positive for strep again.

Good luck!

Kathy-

My kiddos did about 2 years of daily antibiotics (zith) and now have been off all abx for about two years (we give them a course if we see pandas symptoms arise). I will say that the last two years have been WAY better than the first two, so at least for mine, I can say, it hasn't hurt them to be off. I personally started getting very concerned about the unintended consequences of antibiotics long term....

I do agree with the others, however. Summer is an ideal time to take a break. I also would probably not consider a break unless your child is stable and at at least 90%. I would also taper off slowly, use advil during the taper, and possibly expect a small worsening initially that should not last long or be bad. I would watch carefully.

Good luck!