ACN Latitudes Forums

Candida

Interesting and exciting information today! As I have mentioned before, DS6 seems to look stellar when on Diflucan. Just got the lab results back. Despite 2 runs of 35 days since December, along with actually being on Diflucan currently,DS6 is showing significant elevation in Candida. I suspect this as secondary, caused by years of abx use to knock out Strep/Myco. However, we know that overgrowth of yeast/Candida also causes PANDAS symptomology. For those that are stumped at this point, or who have seen significant improvement when using enzymes/probiotics, I suggest testing for Candida. I am thinking that DS6 would have had an even higher count before Dec., prior to using Diflucan. This is the 1st time I have ever had him tested. Hopefully, the Diflucan is doing its job! I will continue on with the second run of Diflucan (back to back with the first which will be 1 ml/day for 70 days total) and see where we get. Dr. Bouboulis may get more agggressive once he reviews the results and I will share what arises. Warm, positive thoughts to all of you and your babes. :)

Kathy,

My crude understanding is that different scripts get at different strains/types of yeast. My older dd is taking Enhansa which is also terrific for yeast. Doc would have to call that into Lee Silsby pharmacy.. Enhansa is also highly anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Need to get some prescribed for myself! Supposed to be great for your heart/cholesterol. Jill

Jag- please do give us more info on Enhansa! We've been looking into starting on curcumin as a supplement. I see on the compounding pharmas website that if a dr. writes a script for it, it may be covered by insurance. Does your son actually take it for yeast? Or is it a replacement for antibiotics that just doesn't have the yeast cause side effects of traditional abx? Thanks

Turmeric has so many uses. My dd is on for yeast and inflammation . I like the enhansa brand for quality and consistency, it seems to be a proprietary blend. Like jag I'd like to take it myself. If you get a script your insurance may cover it. Lee silsby had some good info on it on their website.

I'm confused how you can sell the same product with and without prescription...that seems weird.

I was ALL jazzed about starting Amantadine. At 200 mg, it didn't seem to do much, we shall see if doc increases on next visit. Then we added Enhansa and there was significant die-off....of what, I'm not sure. Could be yeast as we were all in hysterical laughter at the noises and seriously toxic smells coming from dd13 (TG she has a good sense of humor!) Now, she has a virus, she was actually home from school today; chills, mild fever, sore throat, congestion, the whole enchilada. Could be coincidence, could be anti-viral properties of Enhansa, idk. My dd13 had been cycled through a couple different anti-fungals that did WONDERS for her skin-significant acne down to next to nothing! But there was something that those anti-fungals didn't get as evidenced by previously mentioned stink bombs (they looked weird too, she brought me in the bathroom to look at her alien poop, like tentacles, tmi???)

As far as behavior goes, I have seen some regression. Right now she is taking 150 mg in the morning and 300 mg at night. We started at 150mg and the toxic gas came as soon at we increased to 300mg. We are supposed to work up to 1200mg (they are tiny capsules.) The goal is to eliminate some of the other stuff. She was on two abx twice daily, now she takes each once. She was on a script anti-fungal which we are eliminating. We are not there yet, but Enhansa sure seems like it covers many of our group nemisis; anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory....

Our purpose with Enhansa is to eliminate some lingering ADD symptoms and mild social anxiety that would completely disappear with prednisone. I see the die-off as a good thing.....better out than in :P

Hi - Our ped has recommeded Mireva. here's the blurb.. she really rates it

'Enjoy the benefits of curcumin in a unique, highly bioavailable new product from Thorne Research. It is commonly known that when taken orally curcumin is poorly absorbed. Meriva is a highly bioavailable curcumin extract that uses phytosome technology to significantly increase its absorption. Meriva Curcumin Phytosome is an advanced botanical extract that binds curcumin to phosphatidylcholine (a chief component of human cell membranes), and provides better bioavailability than any other curcumin extract available today.'

$30+ for a bottle of 120 capsules 500mg each

seems to get rave reviews....

Our purpose with Enhansa is to eliminate some lingering ADD symptoms and mild social anxiety that would completely disappear with prednisone. I see the die-off as a good thing.....better out than in :P

i remember hearing Enhansa a year or so ago but never have tried it. thanks for the low-down -- ds is now coming off an illness and i think with that report, i'll just let things lie as they are for the end of school and put it on our 'summer fun' list.

does anyone know -- is it something that generally has an end-date to treatment or something one would continue indefinitely as some do with probiotics?

Candida was a MAJOR player for my DD. diflucan and nystatin needed to fight it. Finally just got a negative blood work up after being on it since January. I've taken her off of it for the last couple of weeks and she seems to not be doing as well. I hate to keep her on antifungals but it works for controlling the OCD for her. Ugh. Yes, it is a blood test that she had done but I've read some do a spit test??

quote name='trintiybella' timestamp='1363816830' post='156217']

Is it usually a urine test or stool test that tests for candida?

A scrip can be written for an OTC medication to ensure insurance will pay for it or to ensure access to the medication at any time. My nephews have horrible allergies and take Sudafed. Sudafed is an OTC medication. But in Missouri, it has restricted access because it is used in the production of methamphetamine. You must be at least 18 and can only buy so much in a month's time. Well, with three boys under the age of 18, all with sinus issues, that was not going to allow her to buy enough medication to last for a month for three boys and herself. So, the doctor wrote a scrip for each child and she is able to get enough for their family without being labeled as a possible methmaker.

Interesting, huh?

My dd just finished the last of her Nystatin... Wondering if we should refill because I do believe it helps. Have any of you heard of serious side effects of being on it for a long period? Also regarding the blood work, my dd tested positive for candida in a blood test, which is why she was prescribed the nystatin. Although my understanding is that it's a bit of a controversial test (there's a shocker). Some feel it shows real yeast overgrowth and others say that it is just showing whatever yeast is being cast off naturally from other parts of the body. Real true systemic yeast overgrowth in the blood is supposed to be life threatening.