ACN Latitudes Forums

Activated Charcoal caps

DS has been complaining about stomach aches. He had his second IVIG on Thursday and Friday and he has been complaining about his stomach more than usual. Unfortunately, his primary OCD at the moment is going to the bathroom which he avoids doing as long as possibly (he goes about twice a week) so that may have something to do with the pain. I want to try activated charcoal since it seems to help in many areas, but I don't want to risk constipation.

Thanks in advance,

T.Anna

DS14

Charcoal can absolutely be constipating-

Going 2x a week does not sound like enough, ideally, it is best to go at least 1x a day.

How about some magnesium citrate or George's aloe juice (clear and tasteless) to help things along?

For constipation, my favorite product is 2 Oxy Powder capsules before bed...

Hope it's better soon-

We use miralax powder for bouts of constipation, it is clear and flavorless so if you needed to sneak it in to avoid the fight you could. I am hoping by adding the inulin fiber pre-biotics the constipation bouts will be less frequent.

Is he drinking a lot of water? He needs to be drinking a lot of water with IVIG anyway.

My kiddo is afraid of potties in general right now, so I sympathize.

Edited by Mayzoo

Thanks. He can probably drink more, but even with stool softeners or laxative type products he can hold it.

Before he settled into this avoidance pattern, he would go at least once a day.

Once he started with avoidance of all things OCD (almost everything in his life) he was going "maybe" once a week....So I'm happy that at least I it's reliably Wenesday and Saturday and down to 2 or 3 hours each time : /

T.Anna

You can try psyllium husk capsules if he'll swallow pills. It also comes in a powder you can mix with drinks but not sure on taste. Like other laxtaive products, it works by drawing water into the bowels, keeping stools soft and mobile. It's a fiber, so it also helps keep the colon clean. Another option is hiding TruFiber in a milk shake or smoothie. If you can use this successfully, you can also use the charcoal. The charcoal will absorb/bind toxins and the psyllium husk with absorb water and improve "transit" time and counteract the constipating nature of charcoal. (note that charcoal will sometimes turn the stool dark green - this is normal). BUT both products require lots of fluid intake to work well. And charcoal can effect your electrolytes, so some of the fluids should be juices.