ACN Latitudes Forums

Magnesium INCREASES Tics

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this...

I absolutely cannot give my son magnesium even though he needs it. It starts a blowing tic each an every time I introduce it.

I've tried natural calm and other brands, including different kinds like glycinate and citrate. It is so frustrating! Because of it, he can't seem to tolerate any multi vitamin either including very clean ones like the Kirkland brand.

He does seem though to be able to have Epsom/magnesium baths...

Anybody have possible theories or experienced the same thing?

Thank you, I'm just so worried about it.

By the way, he is 4 and on an extremely good/restricted but he still has some motor tics and what the neurologist calls compulsions. I believe the supplements are critical but he seems to react to almost everything other that vitamin c, zinc and a probiotic.

Have you checked for "other ingredients" in the mag supplements that he may be reacting too ?

Some people just don't do well on supplements and so then benefit from having their diet adjusted to incorporate foods that are rich in the nutrients they need

and then the epsom baths for the magnesium is very beneficial because the transdermal absorption does get it into his system

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this...

I absolutely cannot give my son magnesium even though he needs it. It starts a blowing tic each an every time I introduce it.

I've tried natural calm and other brands, including different kinds like glycinate and citrate. It is so frustrating! Because of it, he can't seem to tolerate any multi vitamin either including very clean ones like the Kirkland brand.

He does seem though to be able to have Epsom/magnesium baths...

Anybody have possible theories or experienced the same thing?

Thank you, I'm just so worried about it.

By the way, he is 4 and on an extremely good/restricted but he still has some motor tics and what the neurologist calls compulsions. I believe the supplements are critical but he seems to react to almost everything other that vitamin c, zinc and a probiotic.

Hi, I want to tell you that my son also have problems with plain magnesium, he tried the natural calm, and other band as well. The more he was on it, the more tic and ocd he had, like waving fingers, kept touching a thing when he felt the urge. I don't know why either. If the epsom salt is good, then stick to it. My son also tried taurine, which is good for tics. Since your son is 4, I don't know if he can have it. You should ask your doctor.

Thanks for letting me know! This is the first time I've heard of someone else having issues too. Because it first started on the natural calm I wasn't sure if it was the citric acid but it happens with other brands that don't contain it either. He starts this blowing tic where he blows on his hands or fingers and does this quick inhale:exhales of breath. For us it was the worse on the natural calm but we took it the longest than any other mag supplement. I think it's too bad because I know that natural calm has been great for other people.

How old is your son?

Yes, at this point I am going to stick with the Epsom salt baths (I was also told Epsom salt helps people process salicylate foods which my son has a problem with too) and then I'll look to increase his mag rich foods - unfortunately some are high salicylate foods.

If you find some mag that works for you in the way if a mag supplrment, please let me know ;).

Edited by cobygurl

Thanks for letting me know! This is the first time I've heard of someone else having issues too. Because it first started on the natural calm I wasn't sure if it was the citric acid but it happens with other brands that don't contain it either. He starts this blowing tic where he blows on his hands or fingers and does this quick inhale:exhales of breath. For us it was the worse on the natural calm but we took it the longest than any other mag supplement. I think it's too bad because I know that natural calm has been great for other people.

How old is your son?

Yes, at this point I am going to stick with the Epsom salt baths (I was also told Epsom salt helps people process salicylate foods which my son has a problem with too) and then I'll look to increase his mag rich foods - unfortunately some are high salicylate foods.

If you find some mag that works for you in the way if a mag supplrment, please let me know ;).

The only multivitamin that my son is using, which also includes magnesium, is from bontech supplement. It calls ts-plus control which includes magnesium from magnesium taurate. He cannot tolerate the plain magnesium taurate which is sold separately as well. But he does well with the ts-plus control without any problems. And he is 9 years old.