ACN Latitudes Forums

Why Cooking Oil & Fish Oil always cause problems

Hi,

I have tried many kinds of cooking oils and fish oils like grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, sesame oil, MCT oil, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, and sardine oil but none of them work for my child who has Tourette. It just aggravates his symptoms like eye tics more, become very irritate, very hyper, night terror, not able to fall asleep at night. He is not sensitive to the food listed above. For example, he is eating cod fish, but once he has the cod liver oil, he has tics and irritation. I was thinking to add fat to his diet for his weight gain, but those oils can't help. Can anyone tell me why? Is there any other oil that you think it can be good for tics and mood?

Thank you very much!

Hi, I seem to have the exact same problem...I keep on taking away and reintroducing different oils but same reaction.

I would be interested to know too if anyone has had this problem and found a solution.

Do you give the oils separately, to see if your child can tolerate them or do they usually come in a combination oil?

Have you tried coconut oil? I am going I try that next and see if it might help. Please keep me posted!

Hi

just so I understand...when you refer to "cooking oils" are you saying you are trying to fry the food in these oils?? or are you giving them as a supplement?

If you are cooking in them, just be aware that most oils change dramatically in nature when heated and can actually become unhealthy. This includes coconut oil and flaxseed oil, which are best used unheated for their health benefits.

We don't fry anything and if we saute` it is in a little extra virgin olive oil or ghee.

If you are giving the oils as a supplement and seeing bad effects then your child may be allergic or intolerant to them.

There are a lot of anecdotal reports of people with TS who are fine eating fish but who react very negatively to fish oil, often with increased tics. usually they may tolerate flaxseed oil better, but if not, freshly ground flaxseeds can still give t he healthy Omega benefits.

Extra virgin coconut oil (we like Nutiva) has tremendous health benefits and gives a lovely flavor to food...but again, dont heat the oil! just stir a teaspoon or two into the food. It is great stirred into warm oatmeal or veggies or soups, and has antimicrobial properties as well.

Hi, I seem to have the exact same problem...I keep on taking away and reintroducing different oils but same reaction.

I would be interested to know too if anyone has had this problem and found a solution.

Do you give the oils separately, to see if your child can tolerate them or do they usually come in a combination oil?

Have you tried coconut oil? I am going I try that next and see if it might help. Please keep me posted!

Thank you!

Yes, I just gave my child oils separately. I was thinking to give him coconut oil, but it just discourages me after all the trial.

Hi

just so I understand...when you refer to "cooking oils" are you saying you are trying to fry the food in these oils?? or are you giving them as a supplement?

If you are cooking in them, just be aware that most oils change dramatically in nature when heated and can actually become unhealthy. This includes coconut oil and flaxseed oil, which are best used unheated for their health benefits.

We don't fry anything and if we saute` it is in a little extra virgin olive oil or ghee.

If you are giving the oils as a supplement and seeing bad effects then your child may be allergic or intolerant to them.

There are a lot of anecdotal reports of people with TS who are fine eating fish but who react very negatively to fish oil, often with increased tics. usually they may tolerate flaxseed oil better, but if not, freshly ground flaxseeds can still give t he healthy Omega benefits.

Extra virgin coconut oil (we like Nutiva) has tremendous health benefits and gives a lovely flavor to food...but again, dont heat the oil! just stir a teaspoon or two into the food. It is great stirred into warm oatmeal or veggies or soups, and has antimicrobial properties as well.

Thank you! Most of the time, I just mixed the oils with the food without cooking the oil, sorry for not clarify. But may think about coconut oil. He is having coconut milk. But oils discourage me a lot.

Hi Jim

re the Nutiva coconut oil. ....We were told never to heat it above 350 degrees as it denatures then and not only loses health benefits, but can become unhealthy. My son has had overly heated coconut oil and it caused nasty Crohn's symptoms for him

and flash saute of pre steamed veggies with just dash of olive oil is so quick that it doesn't cause any problems there either

ghee is our fat of choice tho for saute`

as I mentioned, I am not referring to frying which we never do.

• 3 weeks later...

I only use EVOO(extra virgin olive oil) to cook and sauté. I don't give oils in any other way, except for evening primrose which we've tried in capsule form last year. We use coconut oil as a food helper, to give things more flavor,etc. I don't normally heat it. Honestly I live in the desert and I take some coconut oil outside on the porch and let it naturally melt and then I make salad dressings our toast topping with it, LOL!

Chemar I went and did a little looking, and contrary about what I had read about it ... you are correct ... olive oil has a higher smoke point than unrefined coconut oil ... I need to go back now to some of the sources I got my original sources and recheck ... I feel like there is some bad info out there on the issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

-Jim