ACN Latitudes Forums

Magnesium-what kind to use?

We use mag glycinate http://www.amazon.com/KAL-Magnesium-Glycinate-400-tablets/dp/B00013YZ1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1363181530&sr=1-1&keywords=kal+magnesium

I can't recall the details but when I looked into the various types when we first started supplementing, this was the one I settled on for absorption. I initially tried for 400mg/day dose (which is 2 large pills). But the kids developed very loose stools on that dose. We now dose 200mg every other day and only increase if there isn't 1 BM per day.

Burrascono in ADVANCED TOPICS IN LYME DISEASE DIAGNOSTIC HINTS AND TREATMENT GUIDELINES FOR LYME AND OTHER TICK BORNE ILLNESSES

Fifteenth Edition; Copyright September, 2005; JOSEPH J. BURRASCANO JR., M.D. "The best source is magnesium L-lactate dehydrate (“Mag-tab SR”, sold by Niche Pharmaceuticals..."

We have used it with my son for a couple of years now. It is the only supplement that he has asked for and the only one that appears to do anything for him.

Just be careful to check with your doctor. Our's feels that magnesium interferes with antibiotics, so doesn't want it taken at all. Other sources I have read say that you should take it at least an hour away from antibiotics.

Thanks all, I can't get her to swallow the pill now even though I cut it in half. There were some liquid forms I will look into and will review the Burrascano guidlines as well.

I do give the supps at the same time as antibiotics. its really hard to cram all that in so I will ask about time away from abx, I know Doxy is a problem with magnesium but she is not on that now

Like Bill, we used the one Burrascano suggests but unlike Bill, so no significant response. So we switched to the one I linked. My kids HATE taking a half pill, due to the sharp edges that result. They say it hurts on the way down. So we do a full pill every other day. Probably less than ideal, but I pick my battles these days.

FWIW, I put our pills into 3 categories - 1. must be taken twice/day, 2. must be taken away from abx and 3. Can be taken any time

On the breakfast schedule, I put all the ones that are twice a day (includes abx) plus a few 'any time" pills

On the dinner schedule, I put the second dose of ones that are twice a day (incl abx) plus a few "any time" pills

On the bedtime schedule, I put the pills that need to be taken away from abx (probiotics, magnesium) plus the remainder of "any time" pills

This spreads it out and gives us a pretty consistent schedule, even on weekends - just the times change a little as dinner and bedtime are more flexible on weekends. I don't worry about dosing abx every 12 hours. It's just too impractical given the demands of that "2 hrs away from abx" requirement. Most of the abx our kids take have a half life of 90 min - 4 hrs (rifampin) or a long half life of 36 hrs (zith). So whether the second dose of abx is 10 hours after the morning pill or 12 hrs doesn't seem to be worth stressing over.

We use a BioPure Electrolyte product that looks like water. We add 1 Tbl. to bottle of water. You can see the ingred. on the BioPUre site. We also add 2 Tbl. BioPure Matrix Minerals. This is after over 2 yrs. of treatment and every time my son takes abx this is always part of treatment. (Also, add BioPure Galactose and M-water) Supposed to be kidney support as well.

PM me if you want a website to get these for a good $.

Best wishes on healing...

We use MINI MINERALS 99.99% Pure Angstrom Element (liquid) produced and distributed by WHM Alpine, CA......www.worldhealthmall.com

Also use Calcium and one drop of Lithium. Pure Elements so 98% absorption rate. They do not require digestion or enzyme activity and will not interfere with prescription meds.

Told to take with Calcium and 30 minutes before or after anything else as pure elements.

I have heard from the Lyme DR if your on antibx's you need to take extra Magnesium as it gets depleted while taking antibx's.

What about the topical magnesium oil, some use it and apply it after bathing when the skin is still damp. There some thinking that lyme eats up the magnesium if taken

orally.