ACN Latitudes Forums

Teen PANDAS-Home Alone?

My DS 14 hasn't left the house (besides going to Dr.T on 2/11) since January 24. He is in a bad flare and we are 3 weeks post IVIG. He doesn't go to sleep until 2am or even later and sleeps all morning until 2 or 3 in afternoon. We have seen glimpses or our son, but are still waiting for some real progress. DH and I work, I come home around 3:40 a nervous wreck until I see he is OK.

Two questions:

1.Does/did anyone else leave their teen alone at home during a homebound flare?

2. Is leaving him home alone preventing him from getting better? Am I enforcing this day/night schedule since no one is home to wake him??

Thanks,

T.Anna

My dd felt alone was better than with others.

There was nothing we could have done to change the sleep pattern until the healing reached a point that such a change could occur.

You do the best you can under the circumstances you are in....this is not a disorder for the faint of heart.

The sleep schedule is a problem for many. My own DS15 just started back to school today after many months and is on a modified schedule where he goes to school from 11 am - 1:30 pm. I am holding my breath to see if he can get on this schedule as he has been up until at least 3 am (frequently even 6 or 7 am) at night in his bed - then sleeping all day. I think the schedule comes over time.

Regarding leaving the child alone - I have mostly left DS alone during the day because I know he is sleeping. When he is home, I do try to check in by phone when I can / have him text me when he wakes up / swing home to check on him, etc. There was a time in the past when I was concerned about him running away from home or hurting himself and I did not leave him alone then, relying on family and friends to stop in and check on him throughout the day or even stay with him when I was really concerned.

Edited by kimballot