ACN Latitudes Forums

dairy and tantrums?

Just want to run this by you all to see if I am interpreting correctly.

Our ds5 does not normally drink milk but does some dairy (cheese, butter, yogurt, also probiotic with dairy). A week ago he had a cup of milk. Two days later we saw a major tantrum. It seemed a whole day was one long bout of crying. We got him of all dairy and in the next five days, he calmed down.

Has anyone have experience like this?

My thinking is that besides viruses and bacteria some foods could provoke autoimmune reaction like PANDAS. thoughts?

just my opinion . . . when ds was first diagnosed pandas, we also had done a food igg test and he was reactive to over 15 foods. we took him off gluten and dairy. he ate that diet strictly for about 2 years. during that time, he had good times and exacerbations. when we added foods back, we didn't see much of a reaction. he now eats everything. during the time of strict diet - i did think i saw a reaction to red drinks -- pretty immediately. he would only have them occasionally, then i restricted them totally. i generally limit preservatives, additives, HFCS and hydrogenated oils in my house, although they do get them through parties, friends etc.

for us, i do not think the food sensitivities were a major contributor to the puzzle as much as an indicator of a whacked system. his system was so very out of balance and these things would easily tipped it more so. now that he is healthier through eradicating/bringing into balance bacteria and viruses, we don't see those types of fluctuations. although i certainly don't like it, he had a red Hi-C drink at a party yesterday with no reaction.

so, for us, i think those types of sensitivities to foods (or non-foods as the case of hi-c) were indicative of an unbalanced system but not the cause.

Allergies can provoke an auto immune response I believe.

We are towards the end of an elimination diet with my son who is 15 yo. He was Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Chocolate, Peanut, egg, Pea, artificial color/flav/preserv, floride free. His behaviors did not change for the better when we eliminated everything. In fact, he started to tic more. Dr thought it was withdrawal (food addition). As we added in dairy, his anxiety has possibly gotten worse. I am taking him off dairy again and then will re-introduce it. Jury is still out.

There are a lot of people that believe in GF/DF diets and do see good changes in their children both physically and behaviorally.

I recommend reading the book "Enzymes for Autism and Other Neurological Disorders". It goes into detail on food allergies, leaky gut and why a elimination diet is helpful to some and why it is not helpful to others or stops working at some point. Sometimes individuals are just sensitive/allergic to whatever their greatest source of food is due to large proteins crossing over from gut to blood as a result of the breakdown of the intestinal wall - mucus lining. The book has been extremely insightful.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Enzymes_for_Autism_and_Other_Neurologica.html?id=GO51QwAACAAJ

Yes take a look at the books recommended but I believe that dairy or any food your child is sensitive to can cause issues. My dd was dairy free for a couple of weeks and had a slice of pizza bc I was like seriously she has had this her whe life what can it do and she was wired!! And when I say wired I mean she was like watching someone on fast forward. That's when I looked at DH and said something is not right. So in my option who knows. It could be anything. And I have seen food reactions in both my children in regards to behavior. When we were getting dd off of sugar years ago that was a sight to see. I think she was 4 at the time dropping to the ground and screaming yes!! That's when we got rid of all candy and when she didn't see it there was no choice.

Mar