ACN Latitudes Forums

Raging behavior

mar

This is something I have not seen in ds in three years. I get gluten free Mac and cheese with cheese ingredients that he has had in past with other things. I don't know if it's the cause bit it all happened after but it's impossible I feel bc he has had those ingredients in other things. I was actually watching dd more. Anyway he had a breakdown within a half an hour. I send him upstairs for raising his voice and talking back. I go up to his room within 30 minutes and don't see him. He is under his bed curled up with pillows and blanket! This is not right. Have not seen this behavior in three years. Ask him to get out and he is all miserable. He eventually gets out. He eventually comes out of room and is very against his sister. Just starting fights with her . He tells me she can never do wrong even if she killed someone you would back her up and act like she is innocent which really threw me for a loop bc ds was my number one focus for years and j feel like dd did not get that attention and I have been backing her up bc I can tell she felt left out but would never show it. So he comes out and is just angry at dd which really reminds me of how he was 3 years ago. So ds has baseball tryouts today that he was excited about earlier. He gets frisky and complaining and dd throws his baseball hat down the staircase and he flips!!! Her dance jacket is laying there and he flings it into her room along with crying and raging and screaming at her. Once again he was just saying how cute she is with his motorcross helmet on earlier this morning. He goes back in his room. I find him in his closet with several pillows and blankets could barelly open up the door. He is crying and covered in pillows and blankets. I ask that he comes out and talk. Like I said 3 years with this behavior. He mumbles I treat him like a dog. I am like what! And then he saids I have having the Mac and cheese again it's not bc of that it's his sister who is driving him crazy. To hear your child say I treat him like a dog even though it was mumbled is harsh!!! I have spend the last three years of my life researching and dwelling and changed the whole household with diet. So he came out eventually bc i showed him a funny video online and he went to tryouts and did good. He got mad at dd later at night but DH was home and he looked at me and kept it under control. I will see how tommorow goes! If all is well i will try that Mac and cheese to see what happens. He passed out at 8:15. I hope he is not getting sick. Time will tell. But definately a crazy day!!

Mar

Sorry to hear you are going through this. It definitely sounds like he is a bit out of control right now and doesn't necessarily mean what he is saying to you. My ds said some terrible things a couple of years ago, but I know he didn't mean them. Its just hard to remember that in the moment. On the Mac 'n Cheese thing, it sounds like he is gluten free but not dairy free, and that he's been doing okay with this until now? So two possibilities seem most obvious - either he has developed a sensitivity to dairy that affects his behavior, or he is getting sick (strep?). If he's dealt with strep in the past, I would check that right away. Otherwise, maybe withold dairy for a few days, then reintroduce it to see if it causes another meltdown. Hope you find an answer soon!

Sorry to hear you are going through this. It definitely sounds like he is a bit out of control right now and doesn't necessarily mean what he is saying to you. My ds said some terrible things a couple of years ago, but I know he didn't mean them. Its just hard to remember that in the moment. On the Mac 'n Cheese thing, it sounds like he is gluten free but not dairy free, and that he's been doing okay with this until now? So two possibilities seem most obvious - either he has developed a sensitivity to dairy that affects his behavior, or he is getting sick (strep?). If he's dealt with strep in the past, I would check that right away. Otherwise, maybe withold dairy for a few days, then reintroduce it to see if it causes another meltdown. Hope you find an answer soon!

I agree with the mama2alex, and would also suggest that maybe it's a virus or flu coming on, and also that maybe it's the high glycemic nature of mac and cheese? My DS has trouble when blood sugars rise (and he's not hyperglycemic, typically), particularly when he's sick or getting sick. I would seriously watch the carbs. Many of our kids have problems with their adrenals not working properly, and adrenaline tends to get used up quickly. Dr. K. told me that 5 years ago when we first went to him, and it makes so much sense.

Here's something I stumbled on by chance, that works for my DS when he used to get that way (and I had to use it 1 time since.) If he's not allergic to peanuts, try a small handful of peanuts (doesn't take a lot) or a tablespoon of peanutbutter. I found out several years later that PB is full of tryptophan (the precursor to seratonin), and I figure that the fat in peanuts helps it get to the brain quickly (Dr. K. thought my theory was very plausible.) Also, peanuts are one of the best foods on the glycemic index. At any rate, it would stop the rages within minutes, and he would be back to his normal cheerful self again. If the peanuts work, then you know something is probably going on with his adrenals.

Thanks for the replys! He is sensitive to milk. He has been having cheeses and things but not actual milk and doing well. It would cause congestion. we limit milk products. I truely can't imagine it being the milk. He was so much better today. He is sensitive to peanuts so can't try the peanut help. Does not look sick. Ugh!!! How can one day be so hard and then so better the next. I am starting to wonder could if be bypolar.

Mar