ACN Latitudes Forums

Throat burning & stomach- Pepcid?

DS 14 complained last night that his throat was burning and so was his stomach. He isn't eating a ton and drinks mostly tea (decaf peppermint) and hangs on the couch a lot. Does this sound like acid reflux? Should I try giving him Pepcid? 10 mg? He's about 110 lbs.

I think someone mentioned that they use it to combat Skmething (blanking what).

T.Anna

Yes, it sounds like it might be reflux. Our DS had reflux, along with eczema and some "burst" anxiety moments that looked to us like true "fight or flight" responses. Pepcid set all of those aside, from nearly the first dose.

Pepcid is an H1 blocker, so it works in the gut to lower histamine, but folks high in histamine sometimes experience anxiety as a result, so an H1 blocker can be of benefit in more ways than one.

You might start with the 10 mg. ("regular strength") and see if that helps; if he's still experiencing reflux, you can go to the 20 mg. ("extra strength"). Above 90 pounds, a "kid" is physically considered an "adult" with respect to OTCs, but you might as well give him the lowest effective dose possible.

MomwithOCDson, thanks for asking!

He wouldn't take it. I tried to get him to take it, but he remembered the Pepcid TV ads and felt it wasnt necessary. Those two pills have sat in his pill case for 3 days. Today I went to Target and bought a generic version that is just a plain round pill, maybe he'll take it since it doesn't look like the Pepcid. No idea why he was against the Pepcid, but I have stopped trying to understand the "logic". He has stopped complaining about his stomach and throat. Either because he feels better or he doesn't want me pestering him about the Pepcid.

This weekend has been overall decent PANDAS wise. No rages, he has been in a decent mood, and we have even heard some laughing (outloud at "Friends" etc) and kidding around (even about the avoidance OCD stuff). I'm trying not to get too hopeful. He still isn't eating well consistently and there is zero improvement on the shower, bathroom, etc front. It is now 3 weeks post IVIG.

T.Anna

DS 14

Edited by T.Anna