ACN Latitudes Forums

Buspar (buspirone) for anxiety

Mayzoo

My ds has taken buspar for the last 2 years...7.5 mg twice a day. His Dr. says it it more like a placebo. I don't really think it does too much and talked to dr. today about stopping. We have just started using lemon balm and have seen huge difference in anxiety in last 10 days.

My DD was 14 at the time (now 17)tried it. She was very excited because it worked great at first no side effects (very sensitive to meds) then it just stopped working after about 2 to 3 weeks. We don't know why but it did. The doctor warned us that it wasn't very effective.

We are going to try the lemon balm (I bought a 490mg by Nature's way, Melissa leaves). How often and how much are you giving?

Right now she has such separation anxiety that I cannot get her to be more than 2 feet away from me and I am bumping into when I am cooking. I cannot even go to the bathroom alone. We dealt with this before, but it resolved with the ABXs. So far, no resolution yet. I am hoping the T & A will help in the long run as we get some of the infections under control without the tonsils being a constant source of reinfection.

Thanks for all the replies.

Can you take lemon balm with other meds? My son has been taking buspar for the past year. We are up to 40 mg and I spoke to his Dr today. He said I can go as high as 60 mg but my inclination is not to add psych meds if I don't have to. Just recently got him off celexa but his anxiety got so bad (more of a social anxiety) that I added 10 mg of celexa to take the edge off.

Kathy N, can you share your dosage info and your childs weight? Thanks!

Were using 300 mg once a day, he weighs 133 lbs, six foot tall.

He was backsliding last week so I took him off of it this week just to see if it makes a difference.

He seemed more tired thsn usual. I have tried it, it did not make me tired.

After this week we will try it again. He took it for 2 weeks and it did seem to help with anxiety.

Can you take lemon balm with other meds? My son has been taking buspar for the past year. We are up to 40 mg and I spoke to his Dr today. He said I can go as high as 60 mg but my inclination is not to add psych meds if I don't have to. Just recently got him off celexa but his anxiety got so bad (more of a social anxiety) that I added 10 mg of celexa to take the edge off.

Some meds yes, others no. Here is a good link to research homeopathic remedies with. It is not all inclusive, but it is a start: My link.

I am giving kiddo 495mg caps by Natures Way (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020HQU0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Kiddo weighs 57lbs. She is taking it in the morning and at night because we have nightmare issues I am hoping it will keep under wraps. So far so great!!! She has allowed me to go to the bathroom alone several times, she has gone to bathroom alone several times and she is staying in the house when I go outside some times or staying outside when I go in for a short period. The separation anxiety appears to be calming down a decent percentage so far. It is not gone completely, but it is way better. She has also slept through the night several times this week.

Edited by Mayzoo

Were using 300 mg once a day, he weighs 133 lbs, six foot tall.

He was backsliding last week so I took him off of it this week just to see if it makes a difference.

He seemed more tired thsn usual. I have tried it, it did not make me tired.

After this week we will try it again. He took it for 2 weeks and it did seem to help with anxiety.

Nevermind. I misread this as a buspar dosage......sorry.

Edited by Mayzoo

Thanks Kathy and Mayzoo, I think I will try to get some tonight and use it with both of my boys. Did you see an improvement w/in a day or 2 or does it take a while? Thanks.

Your welcome. Improvement noticed within a day or two. The anxiety seem to abate a bit the first day and the ensuing independence started improving around 2-3 day and continues to improve thus far. She has been on this since March 1st.

Edited by Mayzoo

BTW I triple checked-- it is Buspar in 10 mg tabs. I have been giving him 2 am and 2 pm. I would prefer not increasing it since I would like to give more natural sups. May start antibiotic in a week or two. He has a little bit of an upset tummy so I am holding off. Thanks again for the info!

Got the 400 mg cap from Vit Shoppe. I am not going to increase the buspar at this time.

Kathy N - When I was looking it up it did say it may make you sleepy. I am going to give it tonight at bedtime just in case.

"Several studies show that lemon balm combined with other calming herbs (such as valerian, hops, and chamomile) helps reduce anxiety and promote sleep. Few studies have examined lemon balm by itself, except for topical use. For example, in one study of people with minor sleep problems, 81% of those who took an herbal combination of valerian and lemon balm reported sleeping much better than those who took placebo. But it's not clear from this and other studies whether lemon balm or valerian (or the combination) is responsible for the result."

The same is true of several studies for anxiety, which used a combination of herbs to reduce symptoms.

In another double blind, placebo controlled study, 18 healthy volunteers received 2 separate single doses of a standardized lemon balm extract (300 mg and 600 mg) or placebo for 7 days. The 600 mg dose of lemon balm increased mood and significantly increased calmness and alertness.

Also Interesting --

"... lemon balm oil has a high degree of antibacterial activity. In one study, lemon balm showed adequate activity against Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus auerus. And a few studies have found that lemon balm may help improve cognitive function and decrease agitation in people with Alzheimer's disease."

Some meds yes, others no. Here is a good link to research homeopathic remedies with. It is not all inclusive, but it is a start: My link.

I am giving kiddo 495mg caps by Natures Way (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020HQU0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Kiddo weighs 57lbs. She is taking it in the morning and at night because we have nightmare issues I am hoping it will keep under wraps. So far so great!!! She has allowed me to go to the bathroom alone several times, she has gone to bathroom alone several times and she is staying in the house when I go outside some times or staying outside when I go in for a short period. The separation anxiety appears to be calming down a decent percentage so far. It is not gone completely, but it is way better. She has also slept through the night several times this week.

I forgot to answer part of your question on taking lemon balm with other meds: I had to get with his neuropsych because he takes prozac and lemon balm should not be taken with it, but his dr, said it was in fact ok. There are a few meds you should not mix with it.