ACN Latitudes Forums

Lab results for T & A

Mayzoo

I just received kiddos lab results and I am beginning my google research for any parts of it I do not understand. Here is what they were:

Tonsil A & B samples had prominent crypts filled with debris.

Tonsil A

1. Chronic Hyperplastic Tonsillitis

2. Intracryptal aggregates of mixed and filamentous bacteria, consistent with actinomyces.

Tonsil B

Chronic Hyperplastic Tonsillitis

So far my research indicates these are not extremely remarkable results, but they are definitely contrary to what I have always been told that her "tonsils look perfectly healthy."

Edited by Mayzoo

Grrrrrr. Her ENT called back and stated she did not need to be on ABX to treat this. I told them what I had found. They still are adamant she does not need ABX to treat this, so I told fine I thought the JAMA Pediatric Journel of Medicine (which states this bacteria frequently invades glands near by and ABX need to be given) was a reliable source, but if the doc would not prescribe them then he just would not. I told them I would be taking her to Dr. Rao if this ENT would not treat her for this. They finally relented and stated that if it would make me feel better they would call them in, but they do not feel they will help her any.

Two autoimmune issues, already on prophy ABX and still with bacteria and debris in her Tonsils and he does not think anything else needed to be done. *Sigh* I just do not get it. I am not asking for morphine. I am asking for ABX with a positive histology report.

I guess I should be happy that they even called back with all the problems I (we) have with Docs now days. I am willing to be they call in Amoxicillin even after I reminded that she is on Keflex already prophylacticly meaning she cannot take amox with that.

End of rant I hope.....sorry folks.

Edited by Mayzoo

Rant away. I'd like rant about quest but ill stick to the topic. You had her tonsils out even though they looked perfectly fine? Was she having recurrent strep or other infections? DS has an ENT appt to check out his chronically bleeding nose on Mon. I'm going to have the ENT look at his tonsils too, even though he has not had problems with them.

Rant away. I'd like rant about quest but ill stick to the topic. You had her tonsils out even though they looked perfectly fine? Was she having recurrent strep or other infections? DS has an ENT appt to check out his chronically bleeding nose on Mon. I'm going to have the ENT look at his tonsils too, even though he has not had problems with them.

Yes, she has had recurrent strep, once for 60 days straight despite ABX treatments all 60 days. Even then I was told her tonsils looked fine. She had strep again in July and again in September. Each time we aggressively treat to rid her of behavioural issues related to illness (she is asymptomatic when ill other than behaviours) she makes gains. Within a week or two of stopping the aggressive treatments, she is behaviourally reacting to an illness again. She is home schooled and has not had a lot exposure to other kids lately, so minimal exposure to bacteria. I am determined she had bacteria in her tonsils hiding only to "seep out" after we stop aggressive treatment. The ENT agreed to remove them, even though they looked fine, based on her history.

Of course, they did call in amoxicillin......now I get to call them back tomorrow. If keflex does not kick this, what possibly makes them think amoxicillin will.

Quest the lab? So far we have had pretty good luck with them. Feel free to rant on if you need to :). It can help you release stress and tension.

Edited by Mayzoo

Eesh. Is she sleeping better? Less anxious or aggressive, anything like that?

Kinda early to tell yet. The procedure was only 7 days ago today. Her anxiety is still up and displayed as separation anxiety. She has never really been aggressive. She slept through the night the last two nights, but she has had a night or two a week she did not have a nightmare for a few months now. She is mostly out of the worst pain now, but is still needed pain meds.

I have noticed her pupils have been nearly as dilated since the surgery.

Edited by Mayzoo