ACN Latitudes Forums

Canine Strep Carrier

The search engine would not produce for me on this one. Anyone out there had their dog tested for being a Strep carrier? I understand that it is very rare, but wanted to make sure we left no stone unturned. If so, can you tell me what test it was? Honestly, I asked my vet and the he is trying to help, but he is now emailing me about the liklihood of actual PANDAS in my child after talking with the CDC. Yes, the animal doc. the vet. I am so tired of this kind of battle when I am only trying to get what I thought was a simple swab or blood test for the dog! We have been at this long enough to know that our son has PANDAS! Sheesh!

The search engine would not produce for me on this one. Anyone out there had their dog tested for being a Strep carrier? I understand that it is very rare, but wanted to make sure we left no stone unturned. If so, can you tell me what test it was? Honestly, I asked my vet and the he is trying to help, but he is now emailing me about the liklihood of actual PANDAS in my child after talking with the CDC. Yes, the animal doc. the vet. I am so tired of this kind of battle when I am only trying to get what I thought was a simple swab or blood test for the dog! We have been at this long enough to know that our son has PANDAS! Sheesh!

Our vet does a throat culture on our dog. He has done it a few times. No strep...but staph was found and treated.

Our vet never bothered testing. She said it was expensive and not very reliable. Instead, she offered to treat as if they had strep. The rx she wrote was even one of the free ones we can get at our local pharmacy - so it didn't cost us anything since we were already there for the dogs annuals. She offered to re-treat at any time we thought necessary too.

We're going for our first IVIG in a month and I'm thinking of having the dogs (and whole family) on preventitive abx just in case at that time.

You can treat your dog with augmentin, dosing is easily found on the web. I usually just tell people dd has chronic strep, that seems to be acceptable without getting anyone excited if i ever need to explain to someone why i sm doing something. I have done when dog comes back from kennel.