ACN Latitudes Forums

Can you give florastore with antifungals

I think I remember hearing somewhere not to give florastore with antifungals. Is this correct? I just gave it by mistake. What is the reason you don't give them together?

Florastore is a beneficial yeast. Antifungals kill it and other yeasts. Its the same reason you shouldn't give abx at the same time as probiotics. I don't think it will cause any problems, you just lose the benefit of the florastore.

I just checked the Florastor monograph (available on Florastor.ca (not .com) under the Healthcare Professional link. Beyond the obvious idea that the drug may kill off the probiotic, there's no mention of any negative interaction with antifungal drugs. I'd say take it a few hours apart from the antifungal and you'd be fine. There have actually been many trials using florastor along with antibiotics, so you can try looking up one of those studies to see when, relative to the drug, the probiotic was given.

Keep in mind, when you take a drug it gets absorbed, distributed throughout the body, metabolized, and excreted. The time it takes for half of it to leave your system is called its half-life, which can range fairly widely from drug to drug and from person to person. So the amount of drug fluctuates. To minimize this, doctors tell you to space out your dosing evenly (like take every 8 hours, or whatever). Still, the amount of drug will peak a certain time after taking it so I'd take the probiotic when the amount of antifungal is at its lowest level, maybe an hour or so before the next dose of antifungal.

Did that make any sense? Sorry, I'm really spent today. Best of luck.

Here's an interesting reference I was scanning...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2868213/