ACN Latitudes Forums

Has anyone used this doctor?

I am also just beginning to gather information about pandas. I heard back from my sons local psychiatrist today and he tested positive for strep on his DNA base test. I guess this just means he has had strep at some point. He started him on a high dose of augmentin for the next 3 weeks and has assured me that he is willing to treat him for pandas so I will prob not be having to travel to Texas (I'm in oklahoma). We may keep appointment for second opinion. I will let you know that his receptionist was very helpful and they book out about 1 month. If you are thinking of seeking treatment there you may want to book now! I will let you know how it goes if we decide to keep the appointment.

We went to Dr Rao just 2.5 weeks ago. He. Was. Wonderful. He took a lot of time and asked a million questions. He also tested him for a ton of things not just strep titers. Based on history and symptoms he went ahead and started him on 60 days of antibiotics. He also mentioned IVIG. He does it there in the office and apparently he files all the insurance. He is obviously holding off on IVIG until we see how the abx are working and get the bloodwork back. It was so good not to be blown off as DS7's pediatrician did. He really took his time with us and was very careful. He even nicely asked DS to step outside the the waiting room (which is awesome btw! A rock climbing wall and a giant swing as well as a huge fish tank!) when he saw that he was getting anxious about a lot of the questions and answers. The staff was great too. The nurse was patient with us and the phlebotomist was very gentle and kind. I would recommend him. He is listed on the Saving Sammy website as well as the Pandas network site. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions!

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to post a quick update, we have an appt on the 4th of April, but despite BCBS's website stating Doc Rao accepts BCBS, they do not accept that insurance any longer. They may again some day, but not for now. Of course, we will file after the fact, but just in case anyone else was looking and has BCBS, I wanted to correct my earlier statement that he accepts that insurance.

Also, I informed the receptionist on the phone that kiddo would have to get her blood work done outside their facility or she would never step back into their facility, and they did not seem to have any problem with that.

Update!! We saw Dr Rao on March 1st. His office was exceptional. receptionist Cam was so helpful. We did have to wait for after almost 1 1/2 hours past our appt time but i will say he is worth it. He took his time visiting with us and seems very knowledgable in pandas. We started an antibiotic and will be back to see him on the 18th. If we dont start seeing improvement in his symptoms we'll try another antibiotic. He seems like a very experienced pandas doctor with pandas and after our visit I was very hopeful about the treatment he would offer

I am also just beginning to gather information about pandas. I heard back from my sons local psychiatrist today and he tested positive for strep on his DNA base test. I guess this just means he has had strep at some point. He started him on a high dose of augmentin for the next 3 weeks and has assured me that he is willing to treat him for pandas so I will prob not be having to travel to Texas (I'm in oklahoma). We may keep appointment for second opinion. I will let you know that his receptionist was very helpful and they book out about 1 month. If you are thinking of seeking treatment there you may want to book now! I will let you know how it goes if we decide to keep the appointment.

PM lss. They use him.