ACN Latitudes Forums

What type doctor helps with C677T Single mutation

I think it all depends on the individual. The single mutation is very common (about half the US population has it), but it still impacts the ability to process folate. It may also be *part* of the puzzle, just not all of it.

LLM has reported that addressing MTHFR has helped her daughter a great deal -- just double checking, but I'm pretty sure her daughter has only the single mutation.

You can start reading up at MTHFR.net, if you want some comprehensive information.

It is my understanding in talking with the Ped. who had my son tested, Dr. Latimer and Dr. Bouboulis, that the single mutation does not need to be addressed. If there is a double mutation, then it should. My son has the single.

Yes, my DD is single mutation (heterozygous) for C677T and treating her with a small amount of methylfolate and methylB12 every other day has made an enormous difference. Sounds like it shouldn't. I mean, a miniscule amount (approx 67 mcg) every other day? Doesn't make medical sense to me. But all I can report is that for the first time in her 8 years of life, we sailed through a January without any metldowns, manic episodes, depression or rapid bipolar cycling. Not a blip. We've treated for Pandas, for possible lyme - these things helped. But every January, she still turned into a Tazmanian Devil, until this year, when she was happily normal. The only thing that has changed in the past year is adding methylfolate + methylB12 - at the proper dose for her. We even dropped back on antibiotics, pulsing every other day. And she stayed stable. She got sick with the flu - and she stayed stable.

So I understand why most docs say you don't have to treat. I have no medical explanation. Maybe some people can get by without treating it. I certainly managed thru most of my life (she gets the mutation from me). But for my daughter, with her restrictive diet, with her tendency toward anxiety and depression, it made a world of difference.

Lilly - just about any doctor can order this test for you - I believe Dr T and Dr J are both familiar. But best to work with a doctor who treats this on a regular basis if possible. You can find a referral here: http://www.mthfrsupport.com/find-a-practitioner.html

LLM. thanks - I have been told by several dics that the single mutation is a non-issue. I have read that you have to be very careful with the product that you use - what methylB12 do you use and what dosage? How did you arrive at that dose?

We use Source Naturals MethylCobalmin 1000mg sublingual tablet and Yasko's liquid Methylmate B http://www.holisticheal.com/methylmate-b-nutritional-supplement.html

Some have found they like a combo of both vitamins together - Thorne and Yasko both sell combos. But since my daughter seems to need such a small dose, I've found the separate supplements better suited for tweaking doses. Someone mentioned Yasko's Methylmate B contains rosemary, which may lowers your seizure threshold if you're inclined toward seizures. My daughter has had one febrile seizure 4 yrs ago and one clonus incident last month due to an anticholinergic response to cold meds, so I was concerned about the rosemary. But she had a normal EEG last month and the methylfolate drops haven't seemed to cause her any issue. I mention it only as a fyi.

How did I arrive at the dose? Trial and error. There's no universal protocol on dose. Some of the practitioners who write a lot about methylation (Yasko, Lynch, Van Konynenberg) use 400mcg as a rough target for kids - building up to that dose slowly. That proved to be way too much for my daughter. Using this case study as my guide http://mthfr.net/overmethylation-and-undermethylation-case-study/2012/06/27/, when my daughter was flipping out on me last summer, I gave her my best approximation of 50mg of niacinamide and it stopped her rage. So I stopped all methylation supps for a week (I had been giving 400mcg daily) and each day she got calmer. Until day seven when her bipolar mood swings and irrational, provoking behaviors started reappearing. So I then re-introduced one drop (67mcg) of methylfolate every other day, along with one sublingual methylB12 (these tablets are soft and really hard to split without pulverizing them - so I give the full dose - best I can do). This seems to keep her steady so that's where we've stayed. When I've moved up to every day, the moodiness and irrationality returns.

As I said, this is what works, even if it medically seems improbable. As for a general assumption that one mutation is inconsequential, I think that's mis-guided. If this is your only mutation along the methylation cycle, then I suppose having the MTHFR gene running at 50% efficiency might be ok. But if you have a family history of heart disease, stroke, macular degeneration, miscarriage - as my family does, then I think it's worth treating, for personal comfort that I'm doing all I can to protect me and my daughter from these ailments. If she has additional mutations on other genes along the pathway, I don't think it's wise to ignore it. And for whatever reason, treating her makes her - and the rest of the family - much happier. For a penny per drop, it's a bargain.