ACN Latitudes Forums

Can my ds Pandas be triggered by Mycoplasma but NOT strep?

Broo100

My ds 10, was diagnosed with PANDAS in the fall when he had a double infection of Mycoplasma and Strep. He was put on two antibiotics and is practically back to "normal". In the interim, his sisters have had strep and he has not worsened by being around them. Before his diagnosis, he also had strep but never but never displayed Pandas symptoms. My questions are could his trigger be Mycoplasma specific and not strep or is it more likely that he has fought off both infections and that his body is able to withstand being around others with strep? thoughts? Also, is Mycoplasma like Strep in that one can get it repeatedly? Thank you in advance

My ds 10, was diagnosed with PANDAS in the fall when he had a double infection of Mycoplasma and Strep. He was put on two antibiotics and is practically back to "normal". In the interim, his sisters have had strep and he has not worsened by being around them. Before his diagnosis, he also had strep but never but never displayed Pandas symptoms. My questions are could his trigger be Mycoplasma specific and not strep or is it more likely that he has fought off both infections and that his body is able to withstand being around others with strep? thoughts? Also, is Mycoplasma like Strep in that one can get it repeatedly? Thank you in advance

Yes - your child can have an exacerbation with ANY infection... which would be considered PITAND or PANS - not specifically PANDAS. Mycoplasma is a common problem. I don't know about "typical" kids, but kids on this forum have had mycoplasma more than once.

sorry - I did not read your initial post thoroughly enough!

Is your son still on antibiotics?

It is possible that his initial reaction was to mycoplasma and / or strep... hard to know which or if it was both, I would think.. No subsequent exacerbations with strep exposure... great! Not everyone has an exacerbation with exposure. It does not mean that the initial trigger was mycoplasma.

Thanks Kimballot. I guess I will find out the next time he gets step. I do not have him on any antibiotics for now. I may be pushing it but I am trying to give the bacteria in his guy a break. He has been off them since Xmas. We'll see

I hope you are one of the true success stories - one exacerbation caught early and properly treated. That would be great!!! That is what I hope for for all of our kids one day!