ACN Latitudes Forums

Fungal Ball in sinuses

mdmom

Will post on Lyme board too...

DD13 (non-PANDAS kid) has had a headache for 37 consecutive days. CT scan showed cloudy sphenoid sinus, which is the one located in the center of the head. ENT visit today was enlightening. Instead of assuming the sinusitis is caused by bacteria as most docs do, the doc quickly diagnosed my daughter with a fungal ball (a.k.a. mycetoma) that will have to be removed surgically. Considering all the talk of sinuses lately on this board, I thought this might be of interest to others out there dealing with chronic sinus issues.

Will post on Lyme board too...

DD13 (non-PANDAS kid) has had a headache for 37 consecutive days. CT scan showed cloudy sphenoid sinus, which is the one located in the center of the head. ENT visit today was enlightening. Instead of assuming the sinusitis is caused by bacteria as most docs do, the doc quickly diagnosed my daughter with a fungal ball (a.k.a. mycetoma) that will have to be removed surgically. Considering all the talk of sinuses lately on this board, I thought this might be of interest to others out there dealing with chronic sinus issues.

That is a great find (in a twisted sort of way).... I am sure they will culture it when it is removed to make sure it is just fungal and also to see if it blocked up the sinus and has bacteria growing behind it. Did the radiology report identify the mycetoma - or did the ENT just figure it out? Good for you for pursuing this!