ACN Latitudes Forums

Child doing better OFF antibiotics?

Hi all,

So my DD's prescriptions for Augmentin and Zithromax ran out and and we didn't have any refills. She has now been off Zithromax for two week and Augmentin for a week. She had been on both for the past 6 months and had basically plateaued since at least November. I personally didn't think they they have been doing anything for a while but for some reason Dr. b has wanted to keep her on them. Anyway, she has actually seemed better and certainly no worse, since being off them. Am I nuts??? I am almost scared to get her back on them at this point. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks-

So wonderful! Perhaps the treatment has done it's job and it's time to withdraw abx! I would talk to Dr B about a trial without to see what his thoughts are; perhaps just using anti-inflammatories and detox/methylation/herbal protocols if you use them. Keep an eye out for relapse, it can sneak in slowly. We tried discontinuing one of two abx at one point earlier in DD11's treatment, but after about 3 months her symptoms had all returned. We did not wean, but stopped cold turkey, that might make a difference in the response of the immune system. We keep a daily chart of key symptom levels to visually see what is happening.

Edited by rowingmom

I stopped abx cold turkey on Christmas eve and my ds12 did not have his symptoms return. In the past when I tried to stop or wean him off the symptoms returned within days, but this time they stayed away. I also thought he seemed even better than when he was taking the abx. This lasted a little over a month, then bam.... He got a cold or something and also exposure to strep at school. His tics and anxiety and hyperactivity/fidgety returned all at once. Now he is back on abx, and the recovery seems to be taking longer than I would like. I HATE this. Just do whatever you can to try limit exposure this time of year.

Let's keep antibiotics in perspective. Many of them have potent and under-appreciated anti-inflammatory effects, which can be compensated for by other anti-inflammatory treatments (NSAIDs, probiotics, berries, cocoa, tea, fish oil, sleep, etc.) And they also can lead to resistance and dysbiosis, which can detract from their usefulness. Maybe, like rowing mom suggested, you've compensated for their actions by other means so they're no longer necessary?