ACN Latitudes Forums

Diflucan - gut - PANDAS

Hi - each time I put my son on Diflucan he become STELLAR. Tisnis the 2nd time - a 35 day run of it, basically for the heck of it to make sure there is no overgrowth as he has been on abx for a very long time. He does take probiotics, but we figured, why not make sure to eradicate overgrowth just in case as Diflucan is relatively benign for side effects with an otherwise healthy kid. He is mild in presentation most of the time except in flare, but the difference from mild and functioning to Diflucan functioning is very noticeable to me. Any thoughts on what we are dealing with and how to better prolong the effect when he is off the Diflucan? Keep in mind that he is 6 and will not take pills and will not easily have a "mickey" slipped to him...thx!

If he is better on Diflucan. I would suspect a yeast/fungal issue. Diflucan is not typically a good long term solution. You might try a higher dose of nystatin daily. Our kids are on 2,000,000 un per day. Typical dose was not helpful and we have the dosage compounded. You might also try some herbal remedies along with homeapathy specifically for yeast/fungus. Herbs: grapefruit seed extract, garlic and oil of oregano. Homepathy: Candidate, Dercut.

If the yeast continues it is very possible you have a heavy metals issues. High lead and mercury will trigger yeast overgrowth similar to long term antibiotic use.

I would second nystatin as a preventative but if he is better on it and then backslides while off it, that's a pretty good indicator that its a persistent yeast overgrowth issue. Having dealt with it myself, yeast overgrowth is not a quick fix and really needs dietary change to take place otherwise you are only putting a band aid on it. The best thing to do for yeast is eliminate refined sugar along with the antifungal. Otherwise, you may be killing yeast but then every time you have sugar you are feeding the yeast that still is there, causing it to multiply. I hope that makes sense. And pandas or not, yeast overgrowth in kids causes major behavioral issues.

I didn't think I had to put him on it. I chose to just because he has been on heavy abx for a long time - figured he had to have some yeast overgrowth, as the probiotics are spotty at times. It was basically as a precaution. He is classic Strep:PANDAS and presents mildly after a couple of years of abx and 1 IVig. I have given him only 2 runs of Diflucan, first 12/2/12 and 2nd is in process right now. I just noticed that he seems to do really well on it, although he is very functional off of it (in betw. flares). I am in process of making some dietary changes as well. He is the pickiest eater ever!! Thx!

Edited by Beeskneesmommy