ACN Latitudes Forums

Can strep be anywhere in the body w/PANDAS?

Strep can be pretty sneaky. Group B likes to hang out perianal, and some docs might say that kids don't have PANDAS response to this type, but many belive that they do and I know moms who have kids with this and they have flares or theitr PANDAS kiddos hav flares to the group B kids. Strep also hides in the gut. If your kiddo still has tonsils and adenoids, Strep can be hidden in the crevices and the abx can miss it. This is what happened to us. Also, are you testing for Mycoplasma and other co-infections? Not all PANDAS/PANS responses are to Strep...

I finally feel like I have some doctors who hear me! Went to lyme dr. ran all kinds of blookwork, put ds7 on probiotics, Dr. L put him on Zithromax, and new pediatrition said "there is strep SOMEWHERE in his body" Son had T&A out in 2010 (prior to pandas). Step tests usually come back negitive- but I know his behavior is worse when kids around him have strep or other illness.

He ordered a sinus ct (he thinks it's there), also said that his liver and spleen where enlarged?!, so getting sonogram as well tomorrow.

But to answer your question, strep can definatly be in other areas. This ped, felt that even though my son usually tests negitive for strep it's there.

Also, bloodwork is testing for lyme and other co-infections.

The liver and spleen enlarged make me a bit nervous- old bloodwork showed he had mono at some point but that could have been years ago. We will see what tests show tomorrow.

Yes - it can be on the skin (impetigo - caused by either strep or staph) and nasal cavities in addition to the places already mentioned. My son's initial onset was from an impetigo infection. Strep in the nasal cavities can be cultured - but a good swab is difficult to get. Both of these types of strep have to be treated with abx as well as a topical abx (applied into the nasal cavity for nasal strep). Our ped has us often using muciroprin up the nasal cavities to be safe whenever we see a flare of symptoms.