ACN Latitudes Forums

Speaking of allergy shots

LindaMW

I just read the post about allergy shots and got thinking. Our older son has had severe allergies, seasonal, food... since he was born and has been getting shots for the last five years. Now my younger son, who has had no allergies or any other health issues, gets the Pandas problem.

From everything I have read, it would have seemed more likely for my older son to get Pandas. Since he has been getting frequest doses of steroids over the years and is already battling the allergies, could that have had an influence over him not getting Pandas?

I just read the post about allergy shots and got thinking. Our older son has had severe allergies, seasonal, food... since he was born and has been getting shots for the last five years. Now my younger son, who has had no allergies or any other health issues, gets the Pandas problem.

From everything I have read, it would have seemed more likely for my older son to get Pandas. Since he has been getting frequest doses of steroids over the years and is already battling the allergies, could that have had an influence over him not getting Pandas?

I wonder the same thing for you.

the pandas for my ds' stems from my dh side.

3 brothers...oldest had t/a and allergy shots....healthiest, claims 1 time ocd period that remitted....he has been off and on allergy shots over the course of his life.

middle (dh) a preemy...constant strep until 2 yrs ago...he tics.

youngest brother,constant impitego(sp) ......has severe psorisis, more adhd-ish than other brothers, takes ramikade(sp) for skin condition...(i told him to get tonsils out and check for strep,but i am not a doc so he won't listen to me!!!!!!)

I regret not pushing to getting the t/a for ds12 when he was 5, (we finally did it about a year into this 4yr episode),and not starting allergy shots at that time aslo.

How interesting. It seems like you're not the only one to question the link, Linda. It looks like "the field" is wrestling with case reports hinting of allergies protecting against the severity of autoimmune diseases and autoimmune diseases protecting against allergies. (However, certain autoimmune diseases are associated with allergies.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2432093/

I wonder the same thing for you.

the pandas for my ds' stems from my dh side.

3 brothers...oldest had t/a and allergy shots....healthiest, claims 1 time ocd period that remitted....he has been off and on allergy shots over the course of his life.

middle (dh) a preemy...constant strep until 2 yrs ago...he tics.

youngest brother,constant impitego(sp) ......has severe psorisis, more adhd-ish than other brothers, takes ramikade(sp) for skin condition...(i told him to get tonsils out and check for strep,but i am not a doc so he won't listen to me!!!!!!)

I regret not pushing to getting the t/a for ds12 when he was 5, (we finally did it about a year into this 4yr episode),and not starting allergy shots at that time aslo.

My concern at this point is that i have ds12 on allergy shots for 2-2 1/2 years.

started while ds was in episode...i just wonder if it is too late a start and these allergy shots that may have saved him if used early, are the things that make us regress.

"i may" have found a cycle...a flare 24-48 hours after shots...not getting better till the week prior to next shot :(

however...i wonder if his baseline, "if" the allergy shots are the culprit, is better each month....still difficult to tell or pinpiont.

We shall see. It is difficult to just say stop...2 years in ...going weekly...and having a obviously vast improvement in his "allergy" symptoms.

The question is, are the shots causing a pandas flare. Do i choose to loose ground on allergis, not to have the flare, but then the allergies will increase pandas anyway!

My son is the great experiment for allergy shots for PANDAS.

Has any parent had their pandas child on allergy shots, while in episode, and seen recovery without halting shots??? ANYONE?????

If you prescribe to the "Stop calling it Autism" theory and some of the NIDS stuff ...the father on the site stated he realized his son was not Austitic but sick when he got some kind of rash or bites or something to that effect on his legs and was suddenly a different kid...not autistic at all. Father theorized that the immune system finally had "something" it could work on rather than eating away at it's own self... so to speak. He went about to improve son's immune system and responses. States he is no longer Autistic. You can read his story on the site.

Again, if you are of this theory and belief system...you can extrapolate that kids that are on allergy shots- give the immune system "something" to do. Not on allergy shots...attack thyself.

My oldest took allergy shots for 5 years- neurotypical

Youngest never has- PANDAS et al.

Just throwing it out there, a theory. Not one I can prove. That and a $1.25 will get me a cup of coffee :P

How interesting. It seems like you're not the only one to question the link, Linda. It looks like "the field" is wrestling with case reports hinting of allergies protecting against the severity of autoimmune diseases and autoimmune diseases protecting against allergies. (However, certain autoimmune diseases are associated with allergies.)

My brain cannot comprehend any of this.

Are you saying that if you treat the allergies before you get pandas, you might avoid a pandas kid or re-event...because that is what i am saying.

My thought is that since i started allergy shots a year plus into this 4yr episode...ds might be flaring more per each injection.

now that they are 4 weeks apart, i am trying to see if the regressions are do to the shots...then we get really good...then the next shot...and poo hits the fan again...

I am not ready to say that is what is happening...but i think we will need a couple more shots to tell.

However...if this is true...the baseline, if i can call it that..was fantastic just before this last shot..but is 5 days or so enough to call a baseline?

911...i am not sure what you are talking about in regards to dad with autistic kid...sounds familiar though..

also did you see my pm?

Edited by Fixit

My brain cannot comprehend any of this.

Are you saying that if you treat the allergies before you get pandas, you might avoid a pandas kid or re-event...because that is what i am saying.

My thought is that since i started allergy shots a year plus into this 4yr episode...ds might be flaring more per each injection.

now that they are 4 weeks apart, i am trying to see if the regressions are do to the shots...then we get really good...then the next shot...and poo hits the fan again...

I am not ready to say that is what is happening...but i think we will need a couple more shots to tell.

However...if this is true...the baseline, if i can call it that..was fantastic just before this last shot..but is 5 days or so enough to call a baseline?

911...i am not sure what you are talking about in regards to dad with autistic kid...sounds familiar though..

also did you see my pm?

I PM'ed you, sorry the first one didn't seem to take. Yeah, that Dad's story is on the Stop calling it Autism main page, I think. Not sure what to say about the allergy shot thing. Good luck!