Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patty

wheat & gluten cause bloating?

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone out there know that eating wheat & gluten food can cause bloating in the stomach area? We have been eating very little wheat & gluten food, and last week I had this craving for bread & cracker and ate quite a bit of it and I noticed my waistline grew over nite.

Am I imagining it??\

Patty

Yes, this is a common symptom, discussed a lot on the gluten-free board. Not one I have, but a friend does...

I was told that sometimes when you are away from a food you are sensitive to for a while, you actually have more noticeable symptoms.

Claire

I am not aware that i am wheat & gluten sensitive. I am eating less of it because of my son. Now, I am wondering if I am sensitive to it.

Patty

Patty,

We went around the problem via enzymes.

Go to google and search Houston enzymes; u should find it.

Kim's children are on it(low dosage I believe)

We do low dosage too but we never skip a meal without it.

I believe Claire was the one that started on enzyme and ice cream:-)

The only stuggle is how long will we keep him on it.

He love pasta and cheese.

He now can eat them with no tics.

Sometimes we are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Daniel,

Does your son has food allergy?

Anyways, just in case you haven't try it. There is a yummy pasta made out of rice. You may want to try that for your son. We also eat rice cheese (not casein-free), and it is pretty good. However, not by itself but it is good like a grilled cheeze sandwich.

Thx for the enzymes info.

Patty

Patty,

Yes he has problem with gluten and cassein..wheat and diary.

We use to do all those mushy rice pasta.

We gave up.

We cheated and start using enzyme now we go out to restaurant with no problems.

Normal life now except we have to luck those enzymes along.

I hope his gut heals soon.

DAniel,

As you know we use enzymes (Houston's AFP peptizade) too for occasional wheat, in addition to Zyne Prime for lactose and love them.

However, I should point out that after trying yucky rice pastas and throwing them out, there really is a good one that my picky picky picky son loves.

Annies Rice Pasta and Cheddar. It is in a box like normal macaroni and cheese, and we don't taste the difference. We cook it for less time than the instructions say, so that it is not mushy for us.

This doesn't help when you are out to eat though, thank goodness for the enzymes....

Claire

Daniel,

We eat the Tinkyada brown rice pasta. It taste as good as the wheat pasta. Just don't overcook it. It does tend to break down. My husband & friends can't tell the difference.

I get them at Whole Foods. Or order it on-line. www.tinkyada.com 1-888-323-2388.

Also, have you tried the Asian rice pasta products? They are delicious in broth or stir fried.

Patty

Just thought that I'd add in that I love the Tinkyada white rice spaghetti noodles. I'm trying to cut back on the carbs I eat because I love carbs and could actually live off of bread, pasta, etc. When I was a child and wouldn't eat my mother's meals because of my food issues, the only thing I was allowed to eat was bread & butter. As you can imagine it took a lot of bread and butter to fill myself up.

I have tried some awful rice noodles. The first ones I tried, I almost puked. However, the Tinkyada brand is good.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Have you tried the asian dried rice noodle? It is yummy. IMO, it taste better than the Tinkyada. It is all in the preparation. I can give you the receipe if you like.

Patty

Daniel and Claire,

This is the first I've read about the Houston Enzymes and I am hoping/wondering if this may be an alternative to the GFCF diet that my son is on.

Do your children take these enzymes instead of the GFCF diet, and is it as effective?

My PANDAS son has been GFCF for two months now. I can't say that I see any encouraging results yet. We have yet to see his tics decrease and his once extremely difficult behavior is so-so right now, which could also just mean that he is at a 'waning' period - not necessarily that it's the diet that is helping. The only tangible evidence that we do see is that his chronic diahrrea has greatly improved.

He is finding the diet quite difficult, however we are going on with it even though I can't say that this is the 'miracle solution' here. I don't feel like giving up just yet.

The hope that there may be an alternative solution with the enzymes is really exciting. I checked out their website, but can you please give me first hand information about their products?

Thanks!

Evie

Evie,

My son hasn't ticced for years, so I can't comment there. Multiple people on this site have used these enzymes.

I first heard of them from an ex-poster Jennifer, who had them recommended to her by Pfeiffer. I then asked Pfeiffer about them. Apparently many in the autism community have used them effectively instead of GFCF (there is a dedicate yahoo group for it somewhere). Some have had outstanding results.

It goes beyond GFCF and helps with protein and carb/fat digestion. Since your child used to have diahrrea (mine got diarrhea and eczema from wheat), it would be good to test on a single usage.

My son still seemed to get his ALLERGIC reaction to wheat (swelling lips), even with the enzymes, if he has wheat all the time. I took the enzymes and still got my ALLERGIC reaction (a rash). So I personally feel they are more for the kids that can't handle the gluten/casein, ie the proteins, and for occcasional use for those with IgE allergies.

My suggestion would be to let him have wheat (or whatever) once a week with the enzymes, and see what happens. Then the casein. If all goes well, weekly seemed to work well for us anyway.

Claire

Evie,

This is the group that Claire was referring to;

EnzymesandAutism@yahoogroups.com

The digestive enzymes have been helpful to my boys.

My youngest son (10) will ask for one to take with him, when he knows that we will be near a place that sells hot pretzels. He LOVES them, but they cause him stomach problems if he doesn't take Peptizyde and Zymeprime with it. This son has mild facial tics only. He did go through a head shaking period a yr. ago last spring. I have to believe that the vitamins/minerals, chiropratic adjustments, enzymes etc. have helped keep his tics minimal. His diet remains very limited though.

Older son eats normally. The enzymes (which we don't use consistenly with him) seem to stimulate "elimination," Ohhh, I'd get killed for sharing that one! ^_^

Youngest son had IgG testing high for cow's milk, peanut, pork, egg

Oldest showed all of the grains, wheat, barley, oats, etc. along with a few other things.

Our testing was covered by insurance, but only tested about 15 or 20 foods.

Carolyn,

Have you tried the asian dried rice noodle? It is yummy. IMO, it taste better than the Tinkyada. It is all in the preparation. I can give you the receipe if you like.

Patty

No, I haven't tried asian dried rice noodles. Ya, that would be great if you could share the receipe.

Carolyn