ACN Latitudes Forums

Klonopin

My son's counselor thinks he needs a low dose of klonopin to help with anxiety. Has anyone with older kids tried this? My DS is 23

We tried this for a bit with our teenage son (he was 12-13 at the time), and it really didn't touch his anxiety at the time. Have not tried it since as we've found some other successful interventions, and klonopin being a benzo and therefore having potential for addiction, we didn't want to use it if we didn't have to.

I will say, however, that I have another adult family member who uses it occassionally, in a low dose and basically in the way in which some folks will use valium for some quick, anxiety-lowering impacts. So, I'm told he uses it maybe once a week, depending on what's happening in his household and/or on his job. He feels it's helpful.

My son's counselor thinks he needs a low dose of klonopin to help with anxiety. Has anyone with older kids tried this? My DS is 23

We tried it once, my son was much younger at the time, but it was scary. He had some paradoxical reaction and was wired for hours and thought he was the king of some kingdom. We threw it out after that. It may work for some but watch carefully the first time you use it. Good Luck

We tried this for a bit with our teenage son (he was 12-13 at the time), and it really didn't touch his anxiety at the time. Have not tried it since as we've found some other successful interventions, and klonopin being a benzo and therefore having potential for addiction, we didn't want to use it if we didn't have to.

I will say, however, that I have another adult family member who uses it occassionally, in a low dose and basically in the way in which some folks will use valium for some quick, anxiety-lowering impacts. So, I'm told he uses it maybe once a week, depending on what's happening in his household and/or on his job. He feels it's helpful.

Nancy what have you found to be successful? Thanks! Kathy

My son took low dose at bedtime for a couple years from about and it helped his anxiety. He was about 8 at the time. He no longer takes it but I think it served a useful purpose when we used it.

The dose we have is the smallest: .125 in a wafer. We have not tried it, makes me nervous. What dose did you use. was there any withdrawal that you can remember? Dr. has told me to use as needed. Thanks! Kathy

The biggest dent was made by the antibiotics (Augmentin XR), but he still struggled quite a bit at times. We do a low-dose SSRI (Zoloft) along with Lamictal, and because my DS has high histamine, we also do Pepcid and B6. Those, I think, have had the most impact on the anxiety.

The biggest dent was made by the antibiotics (Augmentin XR), but he still struggled quite a bit at times. We do a low-dose SSRI (Zoloft) along with Lamictal, and because my DS has high histamine, we also do Pepcid and B6. Those, I think, have had the most impact on the anxiety.

pepcid?? how interesting, may try that. My help with gastritis too. we also do 10 mg prozac and zithromax. So wish he wasn't allergic to augmentin.

My son took low dose at bedtime for a couple years from about and it helped his anxiety. He was about 8 at the time. He no longer takes it but I think it served a useful purpose when we used it.

The dose we have is the smallest: .125 in a wafer. We have not tried it, makes me nervous. What dose did you use. was there any withdrawal that you can remember? Dr. has told me to use as needed. Thanks! Kathy

He was on Klonopin tablet 0.5 mg at bedtime. I would be surprised if you would see much response with 0.125 mg in average weight adult. Dose seems too low?? No, we did not experience any withdrawal when stopping. I weaned it down to half tab daily then every other day then every third day etc over a month or so and he was fine. I did it on my own- not even under direction of MD. I just thought it had outlived its' usefulness and it was time to go. I like to keep him on minimal meds if I can. Interestingly, when my son had sleep study done-part of testing is urine tox screen. He did not even pop positive for benzos (which Klonopin is) at 0.5 mg daily dosage so apparently it was not even enough to be detectable in system.