ACN Latitudes Forums

Drugs.com recommends not to mix Luvox with melatonin

Hopeny

My LLMD clued me into using drugs.com to check interactions, we don't use Luvox but I have seen people on this board do so am posting this. I was checking Melatonin, and Luvox was noted as one to avoid. The others to avoid I did not recognize:

GENERALLY AVOID: The concomitant administration of fluvoxamine may increase the serum concentration of melatonin. The mechanism is inhibition of CYP450 1A2 and 2C19-mediated hepatic metabolism. Coadministration increased melatonin AUC by 17-fold and maximum plasma concentration (Cmax) by 12-fold

Generally avoid, but probably not a crisis if it happens. Melatonin levels have to reach extraordinarily high levels (even higher than 17-fold) before anything more than big-time sleepiness occurs. But it's a good idea to ALWAYS watch out for drug interactions. Grapefruit, for example, is a huge contributor to unintentional overdose (it inhibits the same liver enzymes mentioned above). Oranges and lemons are fine, but grapefruit and seville oranges (the source of the flavoring called "bergamot" in earl grey tea) are a big no-no with any medication. I imagine grapefruit and an SSRI like Luvox would be an issue. Don't mess around with serotonin syndrome. Thanks for posting!

Wow! Thanks for this warning! DS14 LOVES Earl Grey tea, he drinks at least 2-3 cups a day (caffeine free). I had no idea that there was a danger and I found an article that describes heart racing, headaches, and stomach cramps-all things DS has been complaining about lately, Yikes!

Any additional information is welcome!

T.Anna