ACN Latitudes Forums

Sinus infection on MRI at 5.

VERY WEIRD AND DISTURBING. Each doctor keeps passing me onto the next I think because she is so sick with such severe psych. symptoms. I am just exhausted! Should the lyme doctor be addressing the sinus or should it be our PANDAS doctor. I thought PANDAS, RIGHT. And what can be done. Do they scrape sinus. Is it a different antibiotic???

Edited by Lilly

AN ENT or Allergist will usually handle this...my son had severe sinus infection on CT when he was 6. Treated with high dose Augmentin for 6-8 weeks and MD made us have repeat CT to prove resolution. Most docs don't want to expose kids to radiation but his was so severe she said the radiation was worth the risk.

None of the doctors thus far have addressed the sinus infection that showed up on her MRI. Is there nothing that can be done with a sinus infection? Should we try a certain antibiotic for this, and what doctor would help with this. Would it be LLMD or Immunologist???? Ugh.

What doctors are you seeing now, and who ordered the MRI that found the sinus infection? What antibiotics is your child on now? Do you have an ENT that you've worked with in the past?

Sinus infection need to be treated quickly. Unfortunately, I have lots of experience with sinus disease with my son. I will look for your responses.

Seeing Dr. J. (LLMD) and Dr. B. (Immunologist)

The MRI was done years ago by a nuerologist at Children's. They saw sinus infection but were not concerned AT ALL.

We do not have and ENT. Perhaps Dr. B. in Conneticut can take care of things. We have an appointment end of Feb. with him, or should I call him tomorrow? We probably waited too long already. My child is currently on Bactrim and Doryx. I welcome your advice.

I had a friend whos son had a test done like that and he had his anoids taken out. I can't believe they did nothing with the sinuses!! He was constantly congested and sick. When they ran the test his breathing was 80 percent affected. When she had them taken out doctor said they wear huge.

Mar

Have you already started with Dr. B or are you waiting for your first appointment?

If the MRI was done years ago there is no reason to assume the sinus infection is still there given the antibiotics your child is on... nor is there a reason to assume it is not there. Basically - it is really not all that valid anymore. Dr. B is usually really on top of things as far as diagnosing sinus infection - he (literally) saved my son's eye 2 years ago when everyone else missed a cyst in his sinuses.

I would think Dr. B would order sinus CT scan, which has more radiation but is more definitive than MRI if he sees any signs of sinusitis on exam.

An ENT would be a good person to add to your team if sinuses are a frequent issue. I would call around for a local one that takes insurance and is willing to work with Dr. Bs recommendations.

Please PM me if you want to talk more privately. I totally understand the desperation you are feeling, but I also know that you have to be systematic and strategic as you attack this demon of a disorder. It truly is like peeling away the layers of an onion and it takes a great deal of time and perseverance.