ACN Latitudes Forums

Autoimmunity

Pardon the query if it's been asked before but how many of our kids with PANDAS/PANS/PITAND have evidence of autoimmunity on the mother's side of the family? (Besides mine)

(I should add that I believe genetic predisposition for autoimmune disease comes from both mama and papa. There's NO intent to blame here, only to solve the riddle.)

My wife has autoimmune deficiencies, and I feel this has either caused or contributed to a LOT of the health problems she has had. I've never met or heard of anyone who has as many "issues' as she does, from hypoglycemia, to Sjogren's, to Rheumatoid Arthritis, to kidney stones, to Endometriosis, to migraines..., etc. Our DS [now 8 y.o.]was diagnosed with PANDAS in June of 2011, and has autoimmune defic. Now, that our DS was diagnosed with PANDAS, it's obvious our 28 y.o. DD has had it since she was 11 y.o.

My side was me having strep all the time as a child. Out of 4 kids i was the sickly one. No tics but after learning all this I believe I had some OCD I had and have axiety and what not. DH has the tics. He never new what strep was. But then his mom had ruthmatic fever and has OCD . No tics from his mom and dad but do see OCD and axiety. He has 1 sister who is tic free he remembers having a bad sore throat in high school and he never went to a doctor. He says it went away and when he was younger if he did get sick his mom would give him a pill and that was that. It was an anrubiotic i find out . His parents have OCD and our just perfectionists and this is what he grew up in. But where the tics came from I just don't know in DH case???

Mar

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis - autoimmune/inflammatory disease, and carry the gene for it (HLA B27) which comes from my mom's side who has a history of all the autoimmune/inflamatory diseases that come with winning that particular genetic lottery.

On a side note - Dr. Murphy had mentioned to us way back when that there seems to be a high incidence of kids with PANDAS with family history of autoimmune issues - particularly on the mother's side. I believe she mentioned this when my 2nd child was diagnosed as there being a very high incidence in siblings (over 60% I think) in families that have this sort of history.

In one study, PANS kids were more than 3 times more likely to have a mother with an autoimmune disease...Which means it's going to become more prevalent with the rising tide of autoimmunity.

"Autoimmune disorders were reported in 17.8% of study mothers, which is significantly greater than the general prevalence among women in the United States (approximately 5%). Further, study mothers were more likely to report having an autoimmune disease if their children were considered “likely PANDAS” cases versus “unlikely PANDAS” cases."

Source

Maternal History of Autoimmune Disease in Children Presenting with Tics and/or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991439/

I'm trying to find the source of joint issues I've had since I was 18. One rheumatologist said osteoarthritis many years ago. Recently i was telling another dr I was at about something else this and she said she really doubted that's what it is. It's acting up again and I m headed to another rheumatologist...this time I'm gong to ask about the possibility of infections or other causes of it.